Male rat bit my arms and sliced open my hand; What went wrong?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's nice to know some are interested in the outcome. My rat, Pepper, was given a bigger cage and gets the privilege of free ranging all over the house (he doesn't chew wires and is more interested in my rat does) and is handled less. When he wants to come to me I let him and only give him a few pets because I know he does not like being handled a lot from how much he would vocalize in protest in the past while being handled.

I respect him now and meet 'his' needs rather than my own. He hasn't bitten anyone since that day when he damaged my hand but did 'nip' my bf's ear while free ranging since my bf was lying down on the couch where Pepper decided to go.

While free ranging Pepper 'hops' around and visits one of my female rats who always tries to slap him through her cage bars. You'd think he would have given up on her by now. He has also mastered the stairs and gets up them so fast.

I can't lie and say I don't fear him because I do which is why he isn't handled a lot. But he plays this game where he will stick his nose through his cage bars and I will kiss his nose quickly. Then he will stick his nose through another opening and the kiss is repeated. He also closes his eyes while I pet his head through the cage bars. He is our funniest and boldest rat and I am glad we still have him.:love2:

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear he is still with you, and hasn't injured anyone (much) since the incident. As long as he is happy and you are happy, that is what matters most.

I am so happy Pepper is still with you! I know you are trying hard to work out a decent situation with him and trying to keep him happy. :thumbup:
Let us know how things go and blow him a big kiss from me. :)

Clark hasn't gone after my arm since his neuter and I no longer fear his attacks.
Good to know the outcome with Clark was positive. Although I fear Pepper I still give him love. Thankfully I have five other rats who I can give my love to and of course all my rats are handled each day.

Back