Making that tough decision

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handmeafish

Old Man, aka Dumbledore has been struggling. I don't know exactly how old he is, but when I brought him home I knew it would be for end of life type care. I wanted to make sure his last weeks were better than the majority of his year was.

To sum up, he was abandoned in the pet store I work at. He came in with 3 others, and they all had terrible mites. It takes 21 days to treat mites, and by the time we were done with that, he came down with a URI, and was treated for 10 days for that. Because of store policy he was separated from his brothers while he was treated for the URI. When he was put back with his cage mate they started fighting terribly, drawing blood, so they had to be separated. His cage mates were adopted out, and he was not. His fur started turning red, from grooming him self with porph discharge, so he was put on ABS a second time. Then put back out on the floor. Then he developed another URI and was put on Zythromax for 7 days. This is when I brought him home. He's been doing ok, and I think being in a bigger cage really helped with the HED, if only because he was able to stretch out and get more exercise. I moved him into the cage with the other boys almost a week ago now. I thought it might perk him up, and it did, he's been much more active, he's still eating and drinking.

He's been wheezing a lot off and on (On for the past few days) and has been on abs for almost a week (Doxy and baytirl) he is not improving at all. He's also lost a lot of weight, and I've really been fighting to get it back on.

I really just don't want him to suffer. I've never had rats before, so I'm worried I am I making the decision too quickly, or not quickly enough.

I really need some help here.

Thanks.

When he was first given meds it wasn't long enough to clear the infection. That usually makes it even harder to "cure". I would give the meds longer (if he's not suffering) and make sure he has extra yummy food, maybe add olive oil to his cereal. But you're the only who "sees" him, this is just my opinion. Is he still active, clear eyed and eating and drinking? Is he still grooming himself? Good luck with your sweetie.

From personal experience you will know when it is time to let it go...he will lose the light in his eyes and start refusing his favourite foods so until then like mamarat said I would give the meds a longer go to see if you can get the infection cleared up. However there is the chance that it will never clear up if his lungs are scarred so then all you can do is make him comfortable, metacam will come in handy if it gets to that point.

The meds need longer to make any effect.
But... I've had my Sawyer here fighting a URI for a long time now but he's still trucking. He wheezes and does have a hard time but he loves his buddies, his out time, his treats and food...
It's time when all his favorites no longer make him happy.

He saved me from making that decision, and passed this afternoon. He seemed better most of today, ate a bunch of baby cereal and had a good long out time. He was napping and all of a sudden he jumped up and couldn't breath. I tried steam while trying to get a hold of the vet, but he was gone with in 10 minutes.

It all happened so fast. I just hope I was able to make his last few weeks a little better.

Play hard little one.

Sorry for your loss. You definitely made his life better, he just got tired. :hugs:
RIP Dumbledore, you will be missed but always remembered. :heart:

Thanks for your kind words everyone. It really isn't fair how short their lives are. I just hope I don't have to do this again for a long time. My other boys are still pretty young. I don't know if they miss him or not... they aren't acting any different.

I'm so sorry for your loss. His poor body just gave out on him. You can be assured that you made a huge difference to the rest of his life, where he was loved and cared for and had friends.

Back