Making a difference for rats in another way

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trihkal

As some of you may know I was involved in trying to rescue a PEW mom and her newborn litter. Sadly the babies died and although we drove for hours upon the owner's request to save the parents he did not answer the door and therefore my rescue attempt failed. =(

Before it had officially failed however I did get in touch with some rescues in the area. Oasis has never taken in rats before or been asked to but they suggested someone could write a post for their blog about the ongoing concerns of rat lovers. I was thinking this would be a great opportunity to share why it's so much better to rescue rats as opposed to purchase and maybe talk a bit about the problems going on in the area since this is a local-ish rescue (Oshawa). I was hoping different members could comment with their opinions or whatever and once everyone has had their say I could put it all together and make a cohesive blog post. I felt this could be another great way that we could bring awareness to others and hopefully make a difference. Anyone up for it?

I admit I have not read up on the original post, but I always believe writing and sharing these kinds of stories is good for rat rescue. Definitely worth putting something together.

I followed that sad story.
It was baffling!

I have been struggling here as well with people who just don't care!

I have a kijiji post in all the same folders as any other possible rat "breeders"
this gives people a chance to send their rats to me if they cannot keep them and they don't have a chance to be posted and bought by a snake owner.
Or people who end up with store bought babies who have babies :(
Also for people looking for a pet and maybe don't think about rats. I try to have pictures of them in sweet affectionate moments. And it gets people asking questions.
Part of my contract is a lifelong return policy. If they should not be able to keep and support them they come back to me! And when people have that safe place they don't get desperate and give them up to a less then ideal situation. I always hope to not have them come back and have my adopters educated to ensure its the right choice. Its there just in case.

I'm always brainstorming with the SPCA. I'm looking at getting some kind of bill in place to restrict rat breeding and that any "Breeder" must be registered at a vet and with the SPCA
I think any person breeding any animal should have to have a license to control over breeding. And anyone posting bred animals on kijiji would be fined/charged and have their animals taken away.
This would reduce channels for them to sell their animals and therefore leave people to take better care to not have their animals breed.

I hope things get resolved for you! I hope this situation can be fixed.
I cannot recall right now if you contacted the local SPCA or proper authorities but if you have an address its certainly cause for concern

Temblabmomo - Thanks. I think I will. It's always good to spread awareness.

SterlingRats - Would there be anything I could do to help you guys with getting that bill passed?I used to live in BC and while I'm sure they had a few bybs it was nothing like here in Ontario. There are SO many breeders with red flags that are actually managing to fool people into thinking they're ethical. Those same breeders are pumping out massive amounts of rats making it that much worse Of course feeder breeders etc. aren't any better.

Unfortunately I don't think there's anything left I can do with this specific situation. The babies died, then the one female ran away, then I drove there when he requested (while Aaron and I were supposed to be sleeping) but he wouldn't answer the door. He hasn't responded since and now the ad is gone. Apparently they found a home OR were eaten by the lizard he mentioned could eat them.

It's frustrating but I have to keep reminding myself I can only do what I can do. I can't save them all. The steps you are taking are great. Please let me know if there is something I can do to help.

I understand the frustration. I'm still making attempts to contact "Raven" I've tried several methods from texting from 3 different phones. Email through 4 different addresses, and calling from a payphone!

As for the bill I'm going to try to set up an online petition so that you can all sign it! If you would. I know if I can set it up I can reach out for more signatures.

My original Heart rat Sterling's previous home is a BYB that never learns. She's since gotten 3 more rats, 2 already were given to me (Maple and Willow). Then her daughter found a nakie girl and bought her. They keep going to Niagara to get their rats...does anyone know of the breeder(s) there? I wanna get in touch that she doesn't allow them to buy anymore. They also keep buying them in singles so this breeder is selling them in singles.
Now this woman has sugar gliders that are breeding and Chinese hamsters and she just gave up one of her two puppies [emoji36] [emoji35]

I'm counting down the days til I get asked to take the SGs or this poor nakie girl.

Anyway RANT!
I will post a new thread for my adventures on this bill. Still brainstorming at this point but hopefully something soon!!!

Last edited:
I would sign the petition. I would love it if this could be handled in a practical way. I can see some potential issues that would need to be addressed with a bill like that.

I think it could be pretty difficult to enforce for one. The people who would be responsible enough to register are the same people who would be responsible enough in general.

It could be hard to prove what is intentional and what isn't. Accidents do happen. Some people take two 'males' from the pet store only to find out they are actually a male and female. By then it's too late and while people shouldn't buy from a pet store it shouldn't be illegal either.

Say someone does get their rat pregnant illegally and the rat is now in trouble during labour a bill like that could prevent the person from bringing their rat to the vet.

Not trying to discourage. Just thinking.

Oh I know. These are things we have discussed. Oopsie litters and people feeling like they couldn't go to a vet. We're trying to make it so local stores would be liable on this instance. Ensuring single gender sales. Like Petsmarts (98% of them) are diligent. Its the Petcos, Pet Valus, Pet Paradise's that seem to be the big culprits of this.

We can't save them all and we can't give up hope or die trying either. It's a hard path in life, rescuing animals because there are so many. So you take comfort in the ones you do make a different, even though slight and take strength in the ones you can't.
I wrote a short prayer about it a while ago...time to pass it around again.

IsaPrayer2.jpg

Love it....you mind if I share this?

My fiance has to takk me down when I'm ready to crack skulls or when I can't find the strength to walk away.
I went through a bad state a while back after Peach died. I blamed myself for her and Sterling's death but he talked ne through that at least they died truly loved and happy as they could ever be. Would they have fought so hard to live in their previous homes? Would they have felt live and appreciation?
So anytime I feel overwhelmed I think of how Sterling changed from an over aggressive "don't touch me, I'll bite you" to "take me out I wanna sit on the couch and eat cereal with you and have a baby wipe bath" all because I showed him love!

Last edited:
You are so right Jorats. I remember that poem from years ago and I still love it today. It's important to keep that in mind when we rescue. I imagine one would burn out otherwise.

Yes, please to share it. Those of use who rescue need to be reminded that the little things absolutely do count and the big things, those rats we were able to save have such a wonderful life because of it.

I intend to do the same thing in their playpen (where we keep their cage(s))

Sterling do you have a website for your rescue? It could be cool to keep it there too.

Why you should rescue and not support breeders or pet stores?

5066075.jpg
We receive numerous calls about unwanted pet rats that have been neglected or given up on. We take them in when their own owners have given up on them. We remove tumors, treat URI's, provide hospice care for those who cannot be adopted out. If you purchase from a pet store you may be saving that one rats life but you are opening a spot for another to fill. You are also providing demand which will keep them coming into the store. I would love to suggest a breeder but around here there are far more backyard breeders than there are good breeders. It is the same concept with the pet store. The same one who has those cute little babies probably also have rats vacuum packed in the freezer for the next meal or tucked away in a back room, alive (for now) in small containers not much bigger than a small dish pan. Is that really what you want to support? The best option is to open your home to a rescued rat, this way the spot you are opening in the rescue is so another rat can be saved. Find a rescue to get your new love from not anywhere else. Rescues depend on adoption fee's and donation to stay open. This is not an easy task to do but one we do out of love for the rats we take in.

I put that one the front page of my website. It is the first thing you see. I also try to blog about the horrible and daily life that we see. I put a lot on my fb rescue page, i have been slowly trying to do the same here. I was failing for a bit. I post my cost, my fights and my tears. I try to share it all. I share when I am having a meltdown when I feel overwhelmed I literally share it all. I dont share the actual numbers I have for some reason. Although I watch so many rescues post how many rats they have I just never seem to post it.

There is so much about rescues that people dont see. They dont see that the person spends all of their free time caring for rats, cleaning cages and that isnt an exaggeration. I cannot tell you the last time I had a day off that I didnt spend it cleaning cages one day and vet visits the next day. My days off I generaly lose my seating int he living room because I place rats on the chair for out time LOL many times I sit on the floor with my ipad next to them while they play on my furniture :)

We would not survive without support. Financial and emotional. I find rats coming in far faster than they go out. We have some we know will never leave us. Those just continue in our care and the vet bills run higher on our lifers it seems.

We have a lot of cages we clean daily I have posted them in my rescue link but it is so much work it isnt funny.

We had a new fish place open in town today. We in there out of curiosity and of course they sell feeder rats. There was a bigger boy in there, a tank with maybe 5 or 6 smaller boys and one with 2 babies that just opened their eyes. Now this just devastates me to see. sadly there isnt much I can do about it.

Back