Make your own stuff!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synnøve

I love making things myself, but it would be a lot easier if I had some recipes on how to do it!
I bet a lot of you feel the same way (? :))

So if you guys have any ideas on things to make for our ratties, and maybe how to make them, post it here!

Bridge

You need:

- One/several wood sticks, that's about 1,5 m long, and it should be about 1cm thick
- A saw
- Twine
- A knife
- Rough sandpaper
- You could also use a drill (read the bottom)

This is what you do:

Saw the stick into small sticks that's 10cm long. Also saw two little marks in each stick, on each end, where the twine will be tied (not completely at the end. Look at the pic to understand where I mean)
Use the sandpaper on the edges, so the rats don't hurt themselves on any wood pointing out, and thing like that.
Then you measure (at least! And longer if you want it to hang from the ceiling) 10cm of the twine that has to be free at the and so you can hang it up. And start to fasten the twine (remember to start 10cm in on the tread) one time around the marks you made, and tie. Then you make a few more knots, that will be hanging between the stick, and the next one. So they're not completely close. And then you take the next stick and continue like this, to all the sticks are tied together on one side. Do the same on the other side, and voila! you have a cool bridge you can hand between platforms, or from the ceiling :)

P1010594.jpg

There is also an easier way to do it. Drill a small hole thought each stick on each side, pull the thread through, tie a few knots, and continue to all the sticks are fastened, and do the same on the other side. But since I didn't have my drill-dad home when I made it, I did it like described over ;)

Remember!: You need quite a lot of twine. With all the knots and stuff, you actually need a thread that is twice as long as the finished bridge - on each side! And remember the sandpaper, so the rats don't get hurt :)

Good luck!

I bought some really cheap cookie containers and I'm going to cut a hole through it and use it as a rattie igloo. I'll post pics when I do it.

I also took small cat litter pans and cut through it, giving it a shorter lip on one side to help the oldies go in.

homemaderatpan.jpg

I bought some shelves from the doller store put some fleece in it and called it a bed! I put a huge tube in across the cage, they cant fit through it they are to fat, but they crawl across it!

Peanut butter containers with some inexpensive chain running through them seem like a great hit here. Too bad I don't go through more peanut butter, because they are more popular than the ferret tubing that I do the same thing too. I think it is because there is more room as my boys demonstrate by sleeping together in one. And yes, he has his little arm around his buddy. :)
peanuttube.jpg

Hah, thats so funny! Just today I had a very similar idea to the one you show here, Vanessa. Except I used a raisin box, put som fleece over it :)
I'll post some pics!

Back