mailbox babies/what the hell!?--pics!!!--on his way home!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twitch

so i was away on vacation to visit family for a few days. i come back this afternoon and check my mailbox before heading inside. no mail of course, but i do find 2 baby ratboys. 1 is very dead, the other very unwell. i rush him over to the vet rather in shock, he can't be more then 4-5 weeks old. i have the AC cranked the entire time and he perks up a lot on the way there. by the time he gets to the vet he's very active though i can feel a rasp in his chest through my fingers and he's sneezing like crazy. the vet says he'll probably lose that after he cools down some more and gets some food and water into him. he's chilling on my bed now with a bowl of water and food available to him. he's sniffed at it and took a little bit but doesn't seem to show much interest in it all. i have no idea how long they were out there in the metal mailbox and i'm hoping that he's not anymore sick then the heat. he's affectionate and very interested in me at least. but holy frig, why would you leave babies in a metal mailbox in the middle of summer when it actually feels like summer out! i've been considering fostering to keep squidge company, but this was not the way i wanted to go about it at all. i'm still in shock yet so haven't named him or considered much on what i'm going to end up doing with him. i know i can't commit to another permanent rat at this time, its why i never adopted any more as my numbers were going down in the first place. i'm just so mad and confused right now! frigging humans on a flaming stick!!! :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot:

... :shock:

Dang, are you known to be a rat rescuer in your area? What a cruddy surprise to come home to.

Hope the little babe comes through his ordeal, and a bloody shame about his poor brother.

not well known. some people around here know i have rats and used to rescue but not that many. i honestly have no idea what to do with the boy. i don't have any spare cages anymore as i haven't been rescueing in so long. i can't keep him indefinitely for sure and he's so small now. its just... friggin' what the hell??

:holysheep: Hearing this should surprise me but sadly, it doesn't.
Makes me so mad that some people have no problems doing this to helpless ratties. :rant:
Thank goodness you checked the mail box since we aren't getting mail.
A lucky boy for sure. :cuddle:
(rip sweet little boy) :heart:
:tumkiss:

:sad3:
If he is that young, baby cereal mixed up with soy infant formula or ensure would be of benefit to your little survivor.
A bin cage would likely work for the short term.

Kayla2 said:
I have a bin cage that I can loan you, I'm just outside of Dartmouth. Let me know.
that would be most appreciated! i have no place for him as it is right now. when would i be able to come for it? are you sure its alright if i borrow it for a while?

Okay, if you have a vehicle you can come get it any time, just let me know. It's in the Lake Echo area..unless you want to wait until the next time im in the city and we canmeet up somewheres?

I agree - what the hell? Poor little baby that died... I hope his brother survives OK. Once he's on the road to health, I guess you can try to rehome him. He's young so theoretically that should make it easier.

Back