Lupin March 27, 2006 - October 18, 2007

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Sparrow

I found Lupin dead in the bottom of the cage today. He was alive this morning and I gave him some treats. Lupin has lost a lot of weight lately and it could have been due to megacolon or maybe diabetes.

I remember seeing Lupin for the first time when he was only 2 weeks old. He was a lot smaller than the other babies and really thin. We didn't know if he would make it but I decided I wanted to take that risk and adopt him anyway because he was all black and I wanted so much a black rat. Lupin was hairless too and I really think he was a cute baby being black and hairless.

Lupin has always had a more fragile health but he was a winner. Even at the age of 2 weeks old, he was making his way to nurse and to have peas from the bowl. I knew he would survive and I was determined to have him no matter how healthy or not healthy he would be.

Of all my rats, Lupin is the only one who never had myco until late August this year. I treated him and he was fine.

My little fragile runt baby lived 18 months, almost 19 months. He is my youngest one to go but I considered in the way that he is the oldest one. I was told that he would not survive when he was only a baby but not only he survived but he had a nice quality life and lived 18 months!

I knew he was a champion and I knew I would enjoy him for a long time and I did. Lupin always found his place with big boys like Ozzy, Silas and Captain Jack Sparrow and never let anyone bully him around.

I no longer have a hairless rat now but I know I will definitely have another one eventually. Hairless rats are wonderful rats and I enjoy how soft and warm their skin is.

Lupin was a small boy of only 500 g or so but so strong and such a winner. Voldemort was about his size too and also the runt of his litter.

I'm so sorry for your loss. He sounds like a very special ratty boy. You are so right that it was wonderful for him to have lived as long as he did, and he must have enjoyed every minute of it.

Hugs to you.

I'm so sorry to hear the loss of your little hairless wonder. I'm glad you gave him the love he needed while he was around. It seems so much harder when the ones you don't expect make it further than first anticipated. He sounds like quite the little trooper.

So sorry to hear bout little Lupin, what a fighter!!

I would say it definitely wasn't late onset MC (usually hits at 4-10 months), and diabetes is extremely uncommon with a rat. If he was drinking a lot (a sign of diabetes) it was more likely to be renal failure which is a normal part of aging for rats and since he was always compromised he just aged earlier.

He sounded wonderful. Popcorn at the bridge Lupin!!

Back