Lump on Brie's cheek - spreading cancer or abscess?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with abscess and compresses. Just do it as often as she'll let you for as long as she'll let you. I'd smell her ears, too, because that looks similar in position to where my Kerfuffle's was... it connected to his ear canal. Very obvious smell to it.

Thanks for your input!
It seems to be an extension of the cancer I'm afraid, there's no smell, the location is very close to the original tumor, and well, two award winning vets in diagnostics (plus a few more) felt this so she's going to be on Metacam (as she usually is) and made as comfortable as possible. This growth is indicating, basically, the cancer is taking over.

I'm no vet but I know there's a big difference between a surface abscess that you can compress & express and a deep one that needs surgery.
After his neuter Alfred had a bit of greenish stuff coming from his sutures, but no smell. The vet opened his sutures and poked around deeper in him and then stuff poured out and it did smell, and he put him under and operated right away and didn't think he'd make it. He had a deep pocket of abscess.
I would think a tooth abscess is deep as it is enclosed in the gums which is covered by the face skin so no way could compresses make it something you could deal with and you might not smell it if the infection was closed and not open.
But Alfred was also acting very sick. So I don't know if your girl has a tooth abscess or if it is the cancer spreading. I don't guess anyone (vet or not) could know without getting in there surgically and maybe even doing a biopsy.
One person's opinion - if she has terminal cancer anyway you can only go by her level of comfort to decide when to let her go and I can't see adding the pain of surgery & recovery to her last days. Better to ease any cheek pain with some nice cold ice cream and ward off breathing trouble with chocolate.

Back