Lump near penis

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisandbambi

Hello. Yesterday I found this lump on one of my boys. It feels hard and not very mobile. He was neutered about 2 months ago and he is pretty young, under one year old. Was thinking of trying some Baytril that I have in hand to see how it affects it in case it's an abscess. Any ideas on what this may be? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20191220_221059.jpg
    IMG_20191220_221059.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_20191220_221045.jpg
    IMG_20191220_221045.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 261
Oh boy... I've dealt with this many times. It is called a Preputial abscess and they can be troublesome. I personally would recommend having a veterinarian surgically drain the abscess. Post-op treatment is simple and involves irrigation with a mix of warm water and Povidone iodine (solution should look like weak iced tea) that can be used to flush the pocket with an irrigation syringe twice daily until the pocket closes (usually two to three weeks). Oral antibiotics such as baytril and doxycycline are sometimes prescribed for the duration of treatment.

This sort of abscess is easy to treat but sometimes it may reoccure if the gland isn't surgically removed. In my experience I did not need to have the gland removed; having the abscess surgically drained and treating as described above resolved it in a couple of weeks. :)

Please keep us updated and please don't hesitate to reach out for more guidance if needed! I hope your sweet boy feels better soon! ❤️❤️

My experience with preputial gland abscesses were they are easy to take care at home and with twice a day flushing with saline they heal well. If it's a tumour (preputial gland neoplasia) these can be nasty and you would need to consider surgery. You know you are dealing with a mass when after it opens up and drain, it continues to bleed and starts to grow outside the body rather than being a cavity that heals towards the surface. Thus lump looks a little close to the penis for my liking so keep an eye on it closely.

Back