Lucky - another surgery?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temblabamomo

This is so so so sooooo subtle. His right eye (on our left). Right beneath his eye and the eye itself. The blurry photo may actually show best how it's a touch off. I run my finger over his head and feel the right eye sticking out more. Pupils are normal, saw no scratches/damage with shining light in his eye. Gave him a cereal to munch while taking pix and at one point he reared his head back in a weird jerky way, a few times, then back to normal eating. Otherwise bright alert and happy. He's approximately 2 years, developing mild HED. This is probably something very bad, right?

da4e8eha.jpg
bada4ane.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My boys that got PT had a protuding eye that was also so subtle that the vet noticed it and had to point it out. Bumbles is on PT watch too he has the eye thing going on - protuding/dull eyes, but its on and off.... I hope your rattie isn't getting PT too. Kona had the protuding eye months before the symptoms of PT and Bumbles has had it just as long (Oct/Nov of last year)

His only other "symptom" is some behavior change - he's always been very quiet and unsure (came from a situation where his human frequently screamed and smacked his cage because he used to bite). The past 2 weeks he is suddenly full of confidence and hardly timid at all. A nice change, but I hope it is not a side effect of something like a PT.

vet booked for 9AM this Wednesday. Of course, MY vet, the wonderful Dr. P, is out all freakin week. A new vet joined his practice some months ago and while I am told she is well versed in rats, I have never used her before so very nervous about that.
What should I expect her to do? What diagnostics are normal for this? Basically I am terrified she will look at him and just say to wait and watch. Enough bad experiences with vets has me always fearing the worst.

Got home to find it worse. Vet is closed. Doubt e vet would be any help. Worried about the eye popping out overnight D: Lucky seems completely oblivious and is happily trundling around munching on cereal.

te7ujema.jpg

a4upyjub.jpg

:( I don't know what to do. Good luck with whatever happens... I had a rat that had to have an eye removed and he healed up just fine, but this looks to be below the eye. A molar abscess or salivary gland problem maybe?

Back