longterm resp. issues?*new question*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilez_n_hugs

Currently Joey (20 months) is on zithro, doxy and metacam. The vet and I both feel that he either has myco or lung damage so he is on the previously mentioned drugs for probably the rest of his life. But now these meds dont seem to be working as well as they did before (which is to be expected) so I was just wondering if this is the best combo or should I be asking for something else? Thanks!

**New question down at the bottom**

I would switch it up and go with Baytril. Zithromax has worked wonderfully for us in the past but I have found it to work better on younger rats. I have no idea why.
Right now, I've got a few on Baytril forever... each time we decrease or stop, they decline rapidly...
Another thing I've found with doxy is that it works very good for the first couple of weeks and then stops being effective. You could try not adding the Doxy anymore but if you see he declines add it back to his regime.
Have you tried prednisone? I've noticed that a week of pred can sometimes give that boost the rat needs to start feeling better with the meds.

You might also want to do a test dose with enalapril to see if there is a heart problem in addition to the lung problem. These two often go together in older rats, regardless of which health problem occurred first.

SQ said:
You might also want to do a test dose with enalapril to see if there is a heart problem in addition to the lung problem. These two often go together in older rats, regardless of which health problem occurred first.

Are there any signs of a heart problem?

Labored noisy breathing, hanging their head off shelves...those are the only two I know, but I am sure others know more signs. The best way to test is to do a test dose, if they get better then you know what it is...

Jo... ratguide actually specifies that Zithro is "More effective with acute outbreaks in younger rats."

Neat that you've actually notices that in your own rats!!

Ok so should I try the enalapril test dose first and if it doesn't work then get the prednisone? And if I get the pred. then what do I give with it? Also should he constantly be on metacam?

I ask all of these questions because my vet doesn't know much about rats but is great about learning so all help is appreciated.

Back