long nails

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyklyst

Hi there
I have 5 ratties in 2 separate cages. The 3 in our main cage all have very long nails. I have tried to trim them-no luck, I have tried to file them-no luck and I need some ideas. Their nails are so long that they are scratching themselves and giving their pretty coats some splotches of rust color.
Not likely that they have mites, I have had them in the vet recently....their nails are just really painfully long-they hurt when I hold them.

What can I do to file them down???

Honestly, I just clip them with nail-clippers. If they won't sit still, put them on something narrow and high up (for example, I put them on top of my sewing machine case and there's really nowhere for them to go. Then I softly lift one paw at a time to clip them. I find the trick is to NOT pinch. The moment they feel the restrain, they panic, but if you're just lifting a little and letting their foot rest on your fingers, then they don't struggle). Another method is to do it when they're sleeping. I know it wakes them up, but sometimes, they're so sleepy they really don't care.

To keep their nails from growing too long again, put a big slab of rock in their cage under a water bottle. Forces them to walk over it and thus file their nails down.

Or. You could always go back to the vet and have him/her clip their nails.

I have the same problem with my boys. Their nails are really long. I get my vet to cut them ..cause they wont stay still for me, and I have a brick in there cage that they have to walk over ..so that files them down.

We tried the rock in the cage thing... All it ever did was stink. And I'm pretty sure that they used it to file their nails sharper at night. =) But It's worth a try, I suppose - everyone reccomends it. I try to trim our boys' nails once a week, except for the one that keeps his chewed short - weird, I know.

Wash the brick/rock off with some ABC detergent (supposed to be good for them) ..then it wont be smelly ordirty

hmm. strider has sharp nails but noodle has really soft nails? is this normal? is it because he's a rex, or he 'trims them'? I've never seen him biting his nail! well, maybe his toes, but not his fingers. hmmm

We have a river rock in each cage, but it is in their litter box. I think I will go purchase a few bricks and try that approach. 29 is fawn color, uh-oh and pockets are primarily white and they look icky with the rusty blood color on them. Please keep the ideas coming....I'm gonna try the narrow idea and see if that helps. I've even used my nail file on them and I can't get them still.

I must confess I have a few bricks in my cage and found they never, ever helped. They are in places the rats have to go over to move from place to place in the cage but it doesn't seem to do any good. I find it hard to cut nails too, it is a matter of getting them used to it. I usually hug them between my elbow and ribs with the head facing back. (Someone else giving scritches back there can distract.) I take one paw at a time and clip nails. If they are really fidgetty, I do a couple of nails and let them go. Sometimes it takes a few sessions. Patience is really good when doing it as if they are less traumatized they often will get used to it very quickly. Good luck!

Love the ideas...

My siamese are fine nail wise, Gomez is a little sharp but still nothing like the berks I rescued. They are sharp.. I will try the rock as they are not to comfortable on being touched let alone held for nail clipping..

Back