Lonely Splinter

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nattykins

So I've now separated Splinter from his mom and sisters (the babies are 5 weeks on Monday but I didn't want to take any chances...) but now Splinter is by himself and just really really sad looking... At first he just kept looking at me like he was saying, "haha, funny mom, bring them back now please"...and now he's just sad...

I bought him a teddy bear today, thinking that maybe it would make him feel better to snuggle with something at night...and I've been playing with him a lot (he's now my "come with me everywhere" rattie)...He's fine when he's running around but just looks dreadfully sad when he's in his cage...

So, keeping in mind that I am not allowed any more ratties (I'm lucky my boyfriend agreed to let me keep Splinter lol), what are some things I can do for Splinter to make him feel better until I can get him neutered? Should I have in the same room as the ladies or is that a bad thing?

Thanks!

nattykins said:
At first he just kept looking at me like he was saying, "haha, funny mom, bring them back now please"...and now he's just sad...

That just broke my heart... and I can pretty much picture him doing that.
Spending all your time with him is a good start. I would have his cage right next to mom and sisters so they can at least smell each other and maybe even see each other a little bit. The teddy bear was a great idea too. Maybe you could even take something from the girls cage to put in his cage so the scent is with him.

That's a good idea...I know he won't let go of my fingers when I've been around the girls...he just sniffs away, but I wasn't sure if they should be close or not...

Thanks!

I would also keep him with me as much as possible.....poor little boy. I wish the vets around here would neuter them earlier.......If he looks like he is getting really sad I have two 11 week old boys he could go in with for a few weeks. Let me know.

Oh and do you have any new pictures? I would love to see them.

My dad is coming down this weekend and he's got an amazing camera, so expect lots and lots of picture updates!!!

It's just ever since they started moving around, it became a lot harder to take pictures with my video camera :p

Dahlas said:
.If he looks like he is getting really sad I have two 11 week old boys he could go in with for a few weeks. Let me know.

I will definitely keep that in mind...It's only been one day, so hopefully he gets happier :)

hahaha.....

so I just took Splinter with me to drive my boyfriend to his course for the reserves that he has this weekend (and he is the best travel rat - ever!)....I was helping him bring his stuff in and Splinter was just curled up on my shoulder under my hair, and everytime we passed someone he knew, Robin would say, hey, do you want to meet one of my kids???He was right excited to show Splinter off....

He can't convince me that he's not completely smitten with them :laugh4:

I was playing with Splinter all night and after our trip, I think he's too pooped to be sad!

He is indeed...

Better yet, my dad called this morning to see if I wanted to go to the market (where pretty much the population of Halifax goes on Saturday morning) and I thought, this could be interesting...

So I put Splinter on my shoulder, and no one noticed (not even dad until I showed him lol) ...Splinter would stick his head out once in a while, but just curled up in my hair and hung out...

Definitely a good travel rat...And he loves his teddy bear :)

He seems like an overall happier ratty today

Back