Lola's Lumps *UPDATE 12/12/13: Where did the lump go??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:rant: I hate lumps - have two of my own guys with them..... :heart: :cuddle: Healing and hoping vibes that they are nothing serious - we will keep our fingers and paws crosseed for you...

This morning I woke up to Lola running around making chirping noises. She appeared to be playing with someone else, they were chasing each other. But she was chirping while she was doing it. Anyone know what that is? She's still doing it from time to time. It doesn't sound like a respiratory issue at all. It was like actual vocal chirping. It sounds almost like a hedgehog mating call.

Could be nothing, I have a little guy that chirps until daddy comes to the cage and plays with him. He strictly does it just for attention .. its the cutest thing. Might just be a sound she makes when playing. Did you rat phone her to see if her lungs sounded clear?

Lola has been having more fights and now half of her cage mates have wounds, not scratches. I've taken her out and she's hanging out with me but I don't know what to do with her. Our vet appointment isn't until Wednesday, her lumps haven't changed since the last update of finding 3 more. But the aggression is terrible. Rosie has chunks taken out of her legs, neck and rump, Cori has a chunk bitten from her face and Lucy has a chunk bitten from her rump. She can't go back in with them but I don't want her to be alone either. I don't know what to do with her... She is also terrified of me now, even more now than a couple days ago. And she has bitten me, hard, when I try and take her out of the cage. As soon as she hears the squeaking of the CN handles being pushed down to open she bolts to the back of the cage.

1095732 said:
Lola has been having more fights and now half of her cage mates have wounds, not scratches. I've taken her out and she's hanging out with me but I don't know what to do with her. Our vet appointment isn't until Wednesday, her lumps haven't changed since the last update of finding 3 more. But the aggression is terrible. Rosie has chunks taken out of her legs, neck and rump, Cori has a chunk bitten from her face and Lucy has a chunk bitten from her rump. She can't go back in with them but I don't want her to be alone either. I don't know what to do with her... She is also terrified of me now, even more now than a couple days ago. And she has bitten me, hard, when I try and take her out of the cage. As soon as she hears the squeaking of the CN handles being pushed down to open she bolts to the back of the cage.

There's something very serious going on...she's acting like she's in pain and reacting to it.
I would just leave her where she's most comfortable until you go to your vet visit. Who are you seeing?

lilspaz68 said:
There's something very serious going on...she's acting like she's in pain and reacting to it.
I would just leave her where she's most comfortable until you go to your vet visit. Who are you seeing?

Our appointment is with Dr. Gerald, because I could get her in their first with our crazy schedule lately. I called Dr. Munn as well and if the leg does need to be amputated or it's anything else Dr. Gerald isn't comfortable with she will go there right away. They said to just call or have the other vet call and they will get her in asap. Do you think I should change the appointment to Dr. Munn?

Should I leave her with the other girls even though they are fighting or separate them? It's confusing because she's attacking them but right after goes and cuddles with them in the hammock.

1095732 said:
lilspaz68 said:

Our appointment is with Dr. Gerald, because I could get her in their first with our crazy schedule lately. I called Dr. Munn as well and if the leg does need to be amputated or it's anything else Dr. Gerald isn't comfortable with she will go there right away. They said to just call or have the other vet call and they will get her in asap. Do you think I should change the appointment to Dr. Munn?

Should I leave her with the other girls even though they are fighting or separate them? It's confusing because she's attacking them but right after goes and cuddles with them in the hammock.

Is she worse some days more than others? Could it coincide with her heat cycle?
What do the other girls think of her? Do they cuddle her back or look wary everytime she moves?

She's been the same every day so I don't think it's with her heat cycle.

Rosie and Cecilia are always cuddling with her, on top of her. Rosie is the girl she's been attacking the most. But when Rosie moves about the cage she is very cautious. Cordelia won't sleep were Lola is anymore. The other girls appear to be acting normal.

I too think she may be in pain, and that's why she's lashing out. Do you have her on any type of pain medication? I'm wondering if it is one of those situations when 'it can't hurt and it may help'...
You just have to be careful about NSAIDS and surgery, as they can increase bleeding.

I have metacam and infant advil on hand. She was on pain meds but I stopped giving them when I realized it wasn't a sprained leg and the pain meds may have been making her aggressive. Should I put her back on them? How long do they have to be off pain meds before surgery? In case she goes in quickly. Is there anything else that helps with pain or can help her relax until Wednesday?

Lola decided to come out of her cage tonight and I noticed she was having trouble breathing sometimes. It wasn't very obvious but still visible. She would tense up and act like she was working hard to breathe. To me it looked like she was either having trouble breathing and had to work hard at it or in a lot of pain or discomfort and tensing up like people do. She also seems to be struggling a bit to pee/poo. I have a video of it but I'm having trouble uploading it. I'm going to try and get that up. I think she is getting worse :cry:

How much metacam did you give her? Try giving her soft liquidy foods to see if she's still eating and to make sure she's getting enough fluids to help feces pass through. Is her belly hard or can you feel lumps inside like with the intestines? Is that where the lumps are?

I gave her 0.3 of metacam. Which was 1mg/lb.

I know she's getting a lot of fluids because I keep seeing her at the water bottle but I haven't been seeing her eating so I've been giving her baby food and she took a couple noodles. Her belly is nice and squishy like normal. Her lumps are in different places. One is near the intestines, small intestine side I believe, and the other two are near the diaphragm or just below it, one on either side a little ways apart from each other.

We are about to get ready to take Lola for her vet visit. I'm hoping everything will go well. She isn't doing well so I'm not sure how it will go. She is clearly in pain, are there any specific pain meds I should ask for? Will the vet need to do a biopsy on her leg lump or just know what it is? I'm trying to be prepared for the visit. Lola is so spaced out. She's hunched over, squinting her eyes not noticing anything or doing anything. :(

Spending some time with her friends before we leave:
eud3.jpg

jg0x.jpg

Not feeling good, she's so calm in her sock:
tqbs.jpg

0rou.jpg

Back