Little Loki -???-October 24, 2013

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamboo

Little Loki left us early this morning. It was very sudden. He began having seizures at 6:30AM and was gone by 6:45AM. We took him out, wrapped him in his blanket and held him. We did what we could, talked to him quietly and held him. He left peacefully, surrounded with tears but comfort. Thor is devastated. He leaned on Loki so much. Loki was his confidence and he is lost without him. When the seizures started, Thor was sitting beside him, looking up at us desperately practically begging us to help him. We brought him out so they could be together.

Loki, despite being nippy when he first arrived, always meant well. He was never aggressive, he just wanted him and his brother to be safe. He learned very quickly that we weren't going to hurt him and that he was always going to have plenty of food. He was even starting to become a shoulder rat.

I hate that he had such a short life and, selfishly, I hate that we got to spend less then 2 weeks with him. I miss him already.

RIP Loki
2013-10-12144514_zpsf38ab263.jpg

Grooming with Thor
2013-10-12222206_zpsf8521046.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss, and for Thor's. It sounds like they were close. At least he knew that he left his brother in a good home. It's hard to lose them so suddenly. And I know seizures are horrifying to see. I hope that you can find some comfort after all of this. Best of luck to you guys.

Thank you everyone. It's so surreal, this time yesterday both the boys were out playing. I even noticed how Loki was interacting with us without hesitation. He was just learning how much fun shoulders are. I wish he'd had more time. He deserved better then this.
UhHuhHer said:
I'm so sorry for your loss, and for Thor's. It sounds like they were close. At least he knew that he left his brother in a good home. It's hard to lose them so suddenly. And I know seizures are horrifying to see. I hope that you can find some comfort after all of this. Best of luck to you guys.
And I feel even worse because I feel like he was in pain, just from his body language. I was going to give him some children's advil but it digressed so quickly that by the time I had it ready, he was on unable to control his movements and convulsing. I didn't give it to him because I didn't think he'd be able to take it properly -I didn't want to drown him in medication. I've never seen it happen so quickly before. I had no time to do anything but try to keep him comfortable.

I also feel really bad for my sister. She's 18 but she's never seen an animal, let alone a pet, die before -I hate that this was the first experience she had with losing one. I told her that he didn't feel any pain, even though I'm scared that he likely did. Despite all the problems I've had with her, she truly does love animals and tries her best to make them happy. She doesn't always make the right choices but more often then not it's simply because she doesn't know any better. Not long after he died, she was cuddling Thor and she said to me that she doesn't want to have to watch him die, that she doesn't want to watch any of the rats die. She knows that they all should still have a fair amount of time left but she knows how prone rats are to health problems and even still, have such a short lifespan.

Still, she has managed well, all things considered. We didn't have a lot around so Loki will be buried in an old postal box. She gave him one of her scarves for him to be buried with, along with his favourite blanket. She also painted the box because she said he deserved something prettier then just an old box. She also called our grandmother, asking if we can bury him in her garden. She said of course we could. I asked for Saturday off so we will go out and bury him then.

Here's his box
2013-10-25021342_zps9c758fb8.jpg

She has also been a big help with Thor. We've been making sure to keep him company and when I had to go to work tonight, she kept him out on the couch were he snuggled in the blankets and got lots of cuddles and treats. His cage is also going to come out into the main part of the house during the day so he won't be alone. Right now, she has his cage right beside her bed so he won't feel so alone.

It's nice to hear your sister is taking an interest in Thor, rather than not wanting to be around him because that might mean she gets more attached to him. I think that it's important to learn to deal with death as a child. Losing your pet and dealing with the emotions and sadness afterwards will help put the scaffold in place to deal with even bigger losses when a family member or friend dies later on.
RIP Loki, I'm sorry you didn't get to enjoy your retirement home longer, but it sounds like you were starting to realize that humans can be the givers of great joy. Play hard at the Bridge little man.....

Back