Little Blue Baby - warning, sad story

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maria-mar

Today i went to a big exhibition with all kinds of animals, from chickens to puppies, parrots, snakes... and that's right. Where's a snake, there's snake food. So there they were, lot's of little baby rats together, all so pretty but looking so sad, their tales so skinny you could see all the bones and their ears showing signs of scabs... and one blue baby even smaller than the others, put apart from them, barely moving. I just had to get him or he'd die there. I was aware that he could die in my hands, but i'd never forgive myself if i wouldn't try, at least.
The man didn't want to sell him, he knew he was too sick. This is the kind of man who only picks those babies to give them to their beloved snakes, but he understood my intentions, and after thinking for a while he picked the baby, made him a litter bed in an open box and offered me the dying rat.
The baby rat couldn't walk or stand, anytime we touched his back he would squick in pain, and sometimes he would shiver and move with convulsions. But he would still move his whiskers when i touched him, smell my fingers, look at me... so that gave me some hope. Me and my fiance, we were only passing by the exhibition, we still hade to make the ride home, three hours away. So before we hit the road again i bought nutricious baby mashed food and a syringe and started feeding the little baby right away, wrapped on a blanket on my lap. He still swallowed some times, but then, suddenly, he just passed away. At first i didn't even notice, he looked just the same pretty small boy. I mean... maybe he did not look pretty. But in my eyes i could see, i can still see, what a pretty boy he could have become.

I was aware, the moment i made the decision to take him, that probably he wouldn't survive. I tried not to bound with him, not to suffer. But i did, the moment he first swalled his food. Hope is a dangerous thing... but what would we do without it?

Please forgive, but what happened today brings me memories...
Some years ago i had a similar situation with a gorgeous stray husky dog. She seemed like she had been poisoned and i spent all afternoon trying to fix her. I did got her to vomit whatever made her sick, but it was already too late. I went to pick water and when i came back, there was people all around her. I called "Lady?" and for the last time, she turned her head and looked me with her blue eyes. She only knew me for some hours, and yet she recognized me and tryed to come to me. She died on my arms and it still makes me cry today, but i'd do it all over again. Having that dog's love, for some hours, was totally worth it ^_^

I'm so sorry for all this. I just felt like i had to share with someone, write for the time being, register this baby blue rat existence somehow.
I'll never forget him and i don't regret what i did, although i know some may disaprove. But it's my life, his life. He had nothing to lose and i won a precious memory. I like to close my eyes and imagine him clean, happy, running and licking my fingers. That made up memory and Lady's blue eyes, those are treasures to me, just enough to make me try again next time.

You need to look around and give yourself a huge pat on the back. 90% of the animals I rescue are sick or have problems of one kind or another. When they pass it is sad but when I nurse them back to health it is rewarding. How could anyone disapprove of the love for an animal.
If everyone could do what you did, the world would be a better place. :D

Thank you guys, really :hugs:

I just ment that lots of people may say that helping an animal that is already dying can't result in much happiness, that nothing can be done, so it's better not even to think of it, that buying (or begging) from a feeder breeder is wrong, that a dying rat can make you or your pets sick, and then there's vet bills, hopes that never come true... I do understand these thoughts... but many times i feel like the right thing is to do the opposite.

I almost forgot that as rescuers, most people here see themselves in similar situations very often, and may even have learned how to deal with the sense of lost somehow... maybe thinking "next time" and enjoying the ones who are here?... Oh my, tomorrow i'm going to be such an annoying mom for my boys, i just wanna squeeze them all :rathugz:

Its' hard to do that, take on an animal that is likely not going to make it, and most times they do not. BUT that one time they do, and they grow up to be big and strong, makes it all worthwhile! ((hugs))

RIP little Blue Man. :sad3:

I wish more people could see that the food has a heart beat, feels love, pain and suffering.
I don't know how people can be so cruel... Little Blue Baby had love before he left this world. :heart:

That's think that on little rats heaven he just grew up, his coat all shiny and clean, with that beautiful blue color, his pretty big black eyes open to look and play with the other ratties who live there ^_^

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
i'm crying right now, this story is very sad indeed, but also full of hope, a hope that there are more of us out there. That can take the sick home, the dying, the ones who don't have much time left, and show them love, warmth, and what it's like to have a full tummy.
What you did is by far one of THE hardest things i've had to do in my WHOLE life. You know from the minute you see that wee soul, they're sick, and you probably won't have much time, you nurse, you stay up at night, you talk/sing, tell stories, share your body for warmth, medicate in hopes it will work, you TRY, where most would walk away.
That is is brave, that's sticking your neck out there, and that is AWESOME, ,and for that, thank you.

Thank You.
:heart:

Henry's mum, i am the one crying now, what you said was beautiful :heart:
I hope to have the chance to try more times, and that maybe next time that little soul makes it.

Mariana, you did such a beautiful thing! I'm so proud of you! :hugs: It's so very sad that it had to end the way it did. The baby rat never stood a chance but you did your best.

I know it hurts but you have to think like this: you were there for him, you tried your best to save him and just for a little while you gave him something he had never known: care and love. And in the end, it's what matters the most.

Aww thanks so much Karen!... The moment i had the little baby on my lap you came to my mind, you were the right person to help me figure out the right thing to do to help this Little Blue Baby!... Unfortunately it was too late, but next time we'll make it through :cuddle:

I just have to thank you for giving the example!... I'd never had figured what to feed him for example, if it wasn't for reading your stories on this forum ^_^

Back