Litter for rats AND cats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevalrose

Right now I'm using Yesterdays News in the rat's litter pans and Tidy Cats clay for my kitties. I'm going to switch my cat's litter to something natural and was thinking about hitting two birds with one stone on which litter I choose. I'm assuming since pine bedding is bad for rats, Feline Pine would probably also be bad for their litter pans. What about something like Worlds Best Cat Litter?

I suppose I need opinions on if there's a good natural kitty litter that works well for cats, that I can also safely use on the ratties. Any suggestions?

World's Best is clumping, which isn't good for rats, as they could eat a little bit and it could expand in their stomachs. Seeing as it is made from corn, it is not a far out possibility they might eat some.

I'd go for paper pellets, safe for both species. Fresh News is one possibility. Or, you could use wood stove pellets (hardwood only!)

I would be weary of World's Best Cat Litter just because it is made of corn and I know corn cob bedding isn't a good idea for rats. You could always just switch your cats over to Yesterday's News.

edit: Dazzle beat me to it.

Yeah, I had the cats on Yesterday's News for years. They liked it a lot and it doesn't scatter which is sooo nice.

I've changed my cats back to Swheat Scoop though because I wanted something clumpable to make it easier to clean daily/be flushable. Because Kenshin is a poop machine.

I started off with ferrets and Yesterday's News. We added cats, they use Yesterday's News. Now we have rats instead of ferrets, they use Yesterday's News. It's relatively inexpensive, and it's 'friendly' to the environment, and I don't worry if the ratties do the odd nibble once in a while.

I use a mix of Swheat Scoop and Feline Pine for my kitties and YN for the rats. I LOVE the clumping effect of the cat litter and have never liked YN for them so I broke down and bought a container for each.

Nothing beats being able to scoop and flush the cat litter.

Back