Litter Eating

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
V

Vex

Hello!

New to the forum and planning to make an introductory post with my two boys soon, but this takes priority.

I decided to try and litter train them (They're about a month 1/2 old) but the only litter I could buy locally that was dust-free is this stuff: https://www.mondou.com/en-CA/p-wood-pellets-litter-for-rodent-8-kg/1018685

Only after I brought it home did I realize it was wood and not paper, conveniently I can't seem to see what KIND of wood it is anywhere in the description, and immediately upon putting the litter pan in their cage they started chewing on the pellets.

I couldn't tell if they were just chewing it or actually eating it, but I took it out right away and want to know if this stuff is safe to use before I try again.

The link to the webpage is literally it, theres nothing else written on the bag which is frustrating.

Most likely, it's wood pulp. Unless someone else knows otherwise. Does it smell like a pine tree, or have a smell at all? If no smell, I'd say put it back in there. They're likely chewing it and dropping it. Babies and very curious adults do this to find out what it is.

Yeah it's so painfully vague that I got worried about what it could be, it smells like wood obviously but I don't detect any pine, so I guess it's safe?

All I could translate was that it’s for cat, rabbits, birds, and small rodents who can’t stand dust

That's about all I could glean as well. It doesn't smell like pine but it smells like wood obviously, does that mean it's unsafe and I shouldn't risk it?

Well like Dena said, if it doesn’t have a distinct smell, it’s probably wood pulp and most likely safe. At the spca I do my clinical hours they use wood pellets as bedding for rabbits, guinea pigs, and the occasional rat (they almost never have rats) and they chew on it turning it into dust but don’t eat it

Well like Dena said, if it doesn’t have a distinct smell, it’s probably wood pulp and most likely safe. At the spca I do my clinical hours they use wood pellets as bedding for rabbits, guinea pigs, and the occasional rat (they almost never have rats) and they chew on it turning it into dust but don’t eat it

Okay thank you, it doesn't smell strong or anything so I'll try it with them!

Back