Limping on hind leg

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryelle

HOLY MOLY!!!!

OK im freaking out!! totally freaking out! i think im on the verge of a panic attack.

I was going to put my rats in the same cage tonight because they are really sleepy atm, so ive dismantled the big cage and ive just scrubbed it down. Took Sid out of it because he was still asleep in the hammock and i put him on a table top and as i put him down he kept one of his feet tucked underneath him. He started moving about and he was limping. I've just moved him to the couch and hes walking on his foot, but hes not putting a lot of weight on it and his toes are curling under when he walks. I've felt his leg and his joints incase it was dislocated or something but all felt fine and he isn't squeaking at any point of contact.

OMG ITS CHRISTMAS EVE!!!!! I don't think the emergency vet will be open because its 9:30pm and i know they won't be open tomorrow! omg omg omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lost my last rat to a spinal injury that made him unable to use his hind legs properly.

I think i'm going to be sick

OK, take a deep breath.

Something similar happened to me with Hazel but she got into play fighting and was limping afterwards. If you have felt the foot, leg back and joints and there isn't any squeaking, check the bottom of the foot for something stuck in it or a sore. I did this with Hazel and she must have just twisted her foot somehow. She did limp for a week or so, but there wasn't any swelling and she's fine now. Keep an eye on him. It's possible she just strained something.

I'm not good with telling someone how to give pain meds if needed, I didn't give them to Hazel at all, so maybe someone else can help with that if need be.

I've just had my Sister on the phone telling me i should prepare for him dieing. omfg why did my mam hand the phone to her?! She knows nothing about rats whatsoever and she's going on the fact that they only live for 2yrs average that Sid will die soon. I was polite and i didn't scream at her.

I'm calm now. I paced around and walked outside and i think i'm calm. Sid's currently laid on my sofa on his side with his foot in the air. I don't think he is in pain, but i think he is uncomfortable just from the way he looks and is laid. I'm hoping is a sprain or something, but with what happened to my last rat i can't help thinking the worst.

I got a mini video uploaded just now of him trying to walk:

I don't have any pain meds at hand, and i'm worried if he is in pain i won't be able to sort it until the Vets open again - which is god knows when.

He hasn't been awake much today so i haven't seem him walking around. He was fine last night - if not a bit withdrawn, but i put that down to crazy Patrick annoying the hell out of him.

ok. I'm prepared. I've just put Sid's cage back together but with only 1 very low tier in it, instead of the 3 tiers i was going to put in. I've just put new fleece material stuff on his ramp so he can grip better when he goes up and down to do his business. He's currently still on my sofa eating some baby food off a spoon because i don't even know if he's eaten yet today. I'm going to give him some more baby food, some chopped up strawberrys and a bit of his food mix on a plate next to his hammock. 1 and a half more hours until my partner comes home and i'm not home alone being scared

How old is your sweetie? This is a very common injury with rats. I don't give pain meds because I don't want them using his leg. Just keep him quiet maybe on one level. Is he eating ok? It takes about 4 to 5 days for the pain to go away. Good luck with your sweetie.

I'm trying to dig out my 2007 diary to get his exact age, but i believe he is about 18 months old, maybe a bit younger. He lapped up two spoons of baby food very quickly so i don't think he has eaten today. He normally likes his food, but he never eats it that fast. He moved around a bit more afterwards aswell. I'm going to try get some water in him now so he doesn't dehydrate. He's hiding under a cushion and doesn't want cuddles :(

He'll be ok, he's in pain that's why he's quiet. I would just leave him be and watch that he eats and drinks. I've had quite a few injuries like that. And the vet can't really do anything.

Ok. I will stay calm and de-stress and watch him over the next few days and if nothing seems to improve I will have him outside that Vet's door before they even have chance to open.

Thanks for replying guys. You've just saved me from going out my mind.

xXx

Thanks for replying guys. You've just saved me from going out my mind.

I've had the same experience, panicking about something in the middle of the night and being saved by the Forum!

Sounds like your sweetie will be OK after a few days of discomfort. If you have any aspirin or Ibuprofen around the house, and a Debbie Ducommun Health Guide, you would be able to figure out how to give him something to ease the pain a little. It's a good sign if he is still eating, though. If he stops eating or drinking then the pain is too much, and I would want to give him something for it.

mamarat, SQ, Jorats & Lilspaz have all helped their rats through this kind of injury many times. I (touch wood) have been lucky so far. You are safest with their wise counsel!

Like previously said, make sure he is eating and drinking ok.
If his foot is swollen you could give him one drop of medicam every 24 hours as it will take down the swelling and help with any pain he is experiencing.
Nothing else vets will usually do ...

He probably twisted or sprained it, hard to tell from the video, but I don't see any real swelling and you said he is putting weight on it? He looks reluctant to move but his posture and relaxed eyes don't say I am in a lot of pain.

I think you are fine to leave him in his 1-level cage with food and water in easy reach for him. Sprains often resolve in a few days sometimes less.

Keep an eye out for swelling, and if it does you can pick up children's/infant liquid ibuprofen, post a guesstimate of your boys weight and the concentration and someone will give you a dosage to help with discomfort and relieve some of the swelling.

Relax, breathe, pat his head (no cuddles for now) and let us know how he's doing later on.

(((hugs))) Injuries are scary, but rats are amazing healers. :heart:

He is still not walking on it today, but he came to the front of the cage and demanded a cuddle.My partner mentioned a bit of swelling last night, but i couldn't see because i couldn't hold Sid where i could see both legs. I'm heading to my partner's parent's house for dinner today, and they have a baby, so i'm going to see if they have any infant ibuprofen i can steal just in case. Sid is still eating and drinking. My partner came home last night and Sid was eating the corners off some toast quite happily.

Sid's weight is approx 640g. I weighed him at the beginning of the month, so i'm guessing from them. I have some syringe's in the drawer downstairs (from a previous vet visit) that have been sterilised and are on hand for an emergency.

I was terrified last night. The last rat i had, i lost 4 months ago to a spinal injury (thats what the vets claimed, although we have no idea how he got hurt). It left him disabled and unable to use his hind legs. I spent a month with a routine of waking up, cleaning his cage, bathing the urine off him, spoon feeding him incase he hadn't reached his food bowl overnight, then cleaning his cage out a second time on an evening, and spending all night with him laid asleep on my lap. In the end I asked the vet to put him to sleep because he wasn't living a life and he was getting more and more in pain. :cry3:

Hey. Sid seems ok today in himself. His nickname has gone from Fatty to Hobble. He still isn't walking on his foot and he isn't putting any weight on it anymore. Its swollen to twice the size.. but he doesn't seem to care :? He's quite active considering he's on 3 feet.

Do you think he needs a run to the vets or do you think he will be fine? They don't open until tomorrow.

I'm now armed with some Calprofen (infant ibuprofen), hoping it will reduce the swelling a little bit to relive some discomfort. The dosage says "100mg Ibuprofen per 5ml Oral Suspension". My boy weighs about 640g. Can somebody PM me with a dosage i could give to him? please.

I'm also armed with some organic baby food ("sunday lunch", and some apple and pear compote), and some organic rice and apple biscuits. nom nom :D
Ofc i will be sharing the apple and pear compote with the rattys. tis nice :)

Yeah, hes on Ibuprofen :D Hopefully it will fix him. He enjoys the meds.. baby medicine was always the best thing ever. Shame i have to grow up *cries*

Back