Lily Bear July'07-December'09 *Edit*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mercurydust

After forming a bond with an animal, their is no doubt that you share a special link. They become more than a pet. They morph into another piece of yourself, an extension of your own heart. Today, at three o'clock I had made an appointment to have feisty Lily pts. Her tumor had gotten so large so fast, and had robbed her of the use of her rear right foot. I realized last week, as I held her and could feel the bones of her spine and ribs, that she did not have much time with me left. She was able to hold out and see her third Christmas, and I had high hopes she would make it past new years, but I knew in my heart it was time to let go. She knew it as well. Last night, at about three in the morning, I awoke to use the bathroom. I passed the Critter Nation and her head was poking through the tent hammock, her eyes so porphy she could hardly open them. I removed her from the cage, and carried her back to the bed with me. I wrapped her in the blanket and sat up with her the rest of the night. Her breathing was so hard, and she was trying so hard to hold on as I silently reassured her that it was okay to let go, that I would not be upset with her. I wanted her to go peacefully here at home, rather than at the vet's office. She granted me that wish. At a tad past seven this morning, while in my arms she took her last breath, and freed herself.
My pink eyed pain in the butt, stubborn and hard headed old lady...you will always be missed. The rat that I never thought would be social with the other ratties, proved that they never cease to be full of surprises. Wreak havoc at the bridge Bear Bear...you know you want to. :heart:

DSCN1245.jpg

DSCN1896.jpg

I never understood what her obcession with my shoes was...she must have liked the smell of my feet. :giggle:
DSCN2000.jpg

DSCN2158.jpg

DSCN1636.jpg

" Gimmeh the cherrio!"
DSCN3353.jpg

" I gots the cherrio!"
PA270036.jpg

This was Lily two days ago...such a difference.
PC280013.jpg

*Edit*
Today, a lady from the Charlotte Pet Cemetary delivered Lily's ashes to me here at home. They took such wonderful care of her and were so empathic and thoughtful. She came back to me in a white cardboard box with her name stamped on it, and inside was a beautiful gold box with a tassle wrapped in paw print tissue paper. I bawled like a baby. Her name is also etched onto the box. They provide such a wonderful service. I am glad to have her back home. :heart:

Mercury, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Regardless of the age. it is never easy and I hope you can find closure by looking back at the wonderful life she had.
RIP little Lily Bear. :heart:

Thanks, y'all. I found a pet cemetary here in Charlotte, that offers cremation for pets of all sorts. So, for now she is with them, and when it is done they shall be delivering her ashes in a beautiful box right to my home. What is also nice, it is very affordable. I wish expenses weren't an issue...but with an unemployed spouse, it is an unfortunate reality.

I'm so glad she was able to go in your arms, a comfort for both of you no doubt. We could ask no more for either of us when it's time I think.
Gotta admit I love her from your description "My pink eyed pain in the butt, stubborn and hard headed old lady". We should all feel as entitled as Lily Bear.
I'm sorry for your loss.

aww I'm sorry to hear about Lily. We're going through the same thing with our Emily. We're going to have to make that tough decision soon. So hard to let them go. :hugs:

Back