Lilith's Eye ...Yet Again...Sigh

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh gosh, poor angel-baby...

I'm glad she's doing better - it sucks it keeps happening though!!

I am really happy though that she found such a loving mother, Shelagh - anyone on this forum would have taken good care of her, I know - I don't even want to think about what a 'first-timer' would have thought, or what their vet might have recommended. ::shudders::

Does Lilith maybe have distichisis (sp)? this is a condition when the eye lashes grow intoward the eye ball. I noticed from her photo's she kind of looks like a rex type???? They tend to have a curly type coat, the hairs seem to look crinkle like.

The other thought could be entropian when the eye lid itself curls inward, causing the lashes to rub on the eye ball itself.

In canines they just remove them...

Dr. Munn is a very experienced vet and would've noticed this conditions...we actually got into a discussion of a rat suffering from entropion on another forum, and discussed congenital vs spastic entropion. Fascinating stuff. :)

This is only in the one eye, she is able to groom evenly with both arms so its not that, its just that one eye doesn't produce enough tears and things don't get washed away. It wasn't one hair in there, more like 8 or more...Dr. Munn kept it for me to see...

Well, at least you know that it's foreign objects in her eye. If he had only treated her for an infection and not actually looked under her eyelid, she very well may have lost that eye eventually. Maybe daily eye drops are in order to help keep her eye lubricated and washed?

Joanne said:
Well, at least you know that it's foreign objects in her eye. If he had only treated her for an infection and not actually looked under her eyelid, she very well may have lost that eye eventually. Maybe daily eye drops are in order to help keep her eye lubricated and washed?

We discussed it, but with her Lids of Steel, and the fact that the eye should wash any irritants out at the time of entry, it really wouldnt work.

I had heard of a nakie having something stuck in his eye before and asked my vet to knock her down and take a better look.

Is there anything you can do to help her along and to help avoid all the trips to the vet?

Back