Ligers???? What the....

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Sparrow

I heard it in the news this morning. Who would do such a thing?????

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/08/ ... eds-liger/

A private zoo keeper in Taiwan is being investigated by authorities after breeding a lion with a tiger and creating two liger cubs.

Huang Kuo-nan has insisted he did not mate the two animals on purpose: Breeding and crossing of rare protected animals is illegal in Taiwan, and if he is convicted, he could be fined around $1,500.

Huang created the country's first liger cubs after the mother, a Bengal tigress named Beauty, gave birth to triplets.

But only two of the youngsters survived. Like many hybrids, they lack the ability to reproduce.

The cubs, whose father is an African lion named Simba, are being hand-reared as the mother made no attempt to take care of them.

Huang said Simba and Beauty have lived in the same cage since they were both small. And the two started mating three years ago -- but this was the first pregnancy, he added.

"Usually when a lion and a tiger are kept together, they will for sure attack each other to death, but these two have been spending time together since they were small," Huang said.

The Liger earned fame for a discussion in the quirky film Napoleon Dynamite. The eponymous hero of the film described the creature as "pretty much my favorite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed ... bred for its skills in magic."

Ligers sometimes happen in the wild. A liger is I guess best compared to a mule. Half donkey, half horse. These species are fertile and can not breed.

This guy is a complete moron though. Why anyone would put them together and keep them together after he'd seen them mating is beyond me.

.....I thought Ligers have been around for a while though?
I searched on in high school and found real pictures of some.
[Not saying it's right, just saying I heard about it before with no beefs at the time.]

the purposful breeding of these ligars are wrong but some of them are rather beautiful its just like white tigers though there created by inbreeding and breed to help zoos get money they arent an endangered animal or anything! its scary to think that ligars may become just like white tigars

smexrat said:
its just like white tigers though there created by inbreeding and breed to help zoos get money they arent an endangered animal or anything!

Although a large cash draw for zoos, white tigers occur naturally in the wild, they aren't the product of inbreeding.

lj said:
Ligers sometimes happen in the wild. A liger is I guess best compared to a mule. Half donkey, half horse. These species are fertile and can not breed.

This guy is a complete moron though. Why anyone would put them together and keep them together after he'd seen them mating is beyond me.

Its pretty rare for it go happen in nature. Tigers are from Asia and Lions from Africa, putting them together in one cage and letting them go at it is as close to natural as you are going to get in most cases

Taiwan zoo fined after birth of ligers

http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/pets-anima ... -of-ligers

The government said the zoo will face a fine of up to $1,600 for breeding wildlife without prior approval from authorities.

A private zoo in Taiwan has become the first on the island to see the birth of "ligers," hybrids of lions and tigresses, with the owner facing a fine for violating wildlife rules, officials said Monday.

The three cubs were born Sunday at the "World Snake King Education Farm" in the south, but one of them died almost immediately, the farm's owner Huang Kuo-nan told AFP.

"The pregnancy of the tigress caught me totally unprepared," Huang said. "The lion and the tigress have been kept in the same cage since they were cubs more than six years ago, and nothing happened."

But the Tainan county government said Huang will face a fine of up to 50,000 Taiwan dollars (1,600 U.S. dollars) for breeding wildlife without prior approval from the authorities.

According to the Taipei-based Apple Daily, there are only around 10 surviving ligers in the world, with adult ligers capable of growing much larger than average lions.

smexrat said:
actually i saw an article about how some zoos are purposly inbreeding tigers to create white tigers

^^ these same zoos you speak of are also in horrid conditions and sell animal to the public, or are not accredited by any zoo associations. they breed related white tigers (inbreeding) to create more because it is a recessive gene. they occur naturally in the wild, morons just exploit this for cash gain.

digitalangel said:
lj said:

Its pretty rare for it go happen in nature. Tigers are from Asia and Lions from Africa, putting them together in one cage and letting them go at it is as close to natural as you are going to get in most cases

Actually there is a Asian Lion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Lion saw something about it on NatGeo once. I thought hey cool, I never knew that.
"The More You Know" :laugh4:

Ligers -have- been around for a while, and on some instances very much purposely bred, which is sad to me because as far I know (I did research on them in high school) there was only one case of a fertile male Liger.

I think it's wrong for us to choose to play god over these animals. They aren't meant to be bred so don't make them just for your satisfaction of making a new species.

That being said, they are beautiful creatures and I wish the pups the best of luck in their habitat wherever it should be... though I was sad when I heard about this =/

There are also Tigons, which are from a tiger father and lion mother.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiglon

just learned of another colouration called the golden tiger (mentioned on the tigon page), gorgeous.
2528462461_b7dc9261f1.jpg

Ligers have growth problems in that they don't seem to stop growing. It eventually leads to death and a short life. They are rank with health issues and cannot reproduce together.

As for the white tigers, only about 25% of the purposeful breeding turns out to be white, and in most cases the normal babies are killed. Of the remaining white tigers, most of those are rank with cleft pallets leaving them with a severely deformed looking face. Those babies are usually killed as well. It is a cruel, disgusting practice that should never be done.

White Tigers, Tigons, and Ligers should never be produced. The psychological pain and suffering of an animal that does not know its true identity, the growth problems, the early death, are not worth the money garnered. Its ridiculous.

From what I read, the Tigon/Liger thing does NOT happen in the wild. If someone can produce documentation of it happening please do.

The white tigers most often die of starvation in the wild because they cannot sneak up on prey.

Back