Lend Me a Rat (poem)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Lend Me A Rat

I will lend a rat to you - for awhile, God said.
For you to love him while he lives, and mourn him when he's dead.
Maybe for twelve or thirty months -
Or maybe two or three.
But will you, 'til I call him back, take care of him for me?

He'll bring his charms to gladden you; and should his stay be brief,
You'll always have his memories, as solace for your grief.
I cannot promise he will stay, since all from earth, return.
But there are lessons taught below, I want this rat to learn.

I've looked the whole world over, in search of teachers true.
And from the folk that crowd life's land, I have chosen you.
Now will you give him all your love, nor think the labour vain,
Nor hate me when I come to you, to take my rat again?

Then it was that I said: 'Dear Lord, thy will be done.'
For all the joys this rat will bring, the risk of grief I'll run.
I'll shelter him with tenderness, I'll love him while I may.
And for the happiness I've known, forever grateful stay.

But should you think to call him back, much sooner than we'd planned,
I'll brave the bitter grief that comes, and try to understand.
When this faithful soul departs this busy world of strife,
We'll have yet another rat, and love him all his life

lilspaz68 said:
SQ said:
You forgot to write down the authors name ...

not really, the original poem was Lend me a Pup (author unknown) and was modified for rat owners...just like most things, even the poetry is often off-label use :wink2:

Thanks ...
too bad the author is unknown ...
I really like that poem and wish we could give credit to the author ...

Yup, that one causes tears to come. Thankyou for posting it!
Probably the best thing to do in this situation is to write *Author Unknown* underneath it. Then people won't wonder ...

I posted a poem I wrote in a eulogy for my rattie Starlit I lost in Aug'03. In Nov'04 I saw someone had posted it on another site in regret for someone else's passed rattie.
I was very pleased that they felt it would bring comfort to someone else. But I was also quite upset that they gave it a title I hadn't (they called it My 'Angel Rat' when it was 'For Starlit' - tho I hadn't titled it in my post as it was a post for Starlit), and no author credit was given. They also replaced Starlit's name in it as 'my sweet rattie' :redhot:
I wouldn't have minded if they'd given it no title (since they didn't know the title) and left it as it as written, or written me to ask the title and permission to take Starlit's name out of it - (they knew how to find me).

I'm pleased if something I wrote can be passed on and bring some comfort to someone, but I don't want the love that compelled me to write that for Starlit to be be lost in time as nothing more than 'author unknown'.
Actually, the reason I kept quiet then is that the ratty that was eulogized was a kid of someone I care very much for, so I didn't want to kick up a fuss.
But it matters to me - it should have said 'author Fidget for Starlit' at the end.....

don't mean to to take over the post - just give a very personal take on the value of crediting a poem if possible, a last gift to a beloved kid shouldn't be words in the wind. Anyone who reads it on the site the other person posted it on would have no other choice but to call it 'author unknown' because of the poster not crediting when they knew who wrote it.. The place I posted it is gone now. Forevermore anyone who sees it will see it where that poster posted it - minus Starlit's name, minus the author. Except here it is as it should be. For Starlit from mom Fidget.

Some angels pass in the blink of an eye
They capture your heart, then off they fly
They give us so much in their short little lives
But it's always too soon when their leaving arrives.

I think that the reason they don't stay so long
Is they give all they've got in the space of a song
They live so fully, and love so complete
They use themselves up in the flash of a heartbeat.

But they always leave something of themselves behind
That brings warmth to our thoughts, and peace to our mind
It's the knowing we've loved, and been loved in return
With no questions, regrets, or memories to burn.

I like to think that they come to remind us
To put all the distrust we've collected behind us
And discover that love unbridled and true
Is living and breathing inside me & you.

And so, Sweet Starlit, I kiss you goodbye
And hope that you're happy wherever you fly
And whatever I'm missing, I still have much more
Than I had when you first came through my door.

- And part of you will stay with me
No matter where you are
Our time was short, but the love was not
My sweet little shooting Star.

Anyone can use it if they want, just please, if you change her name to suit a situation, ackowledge her mom Fidget wrote it for her.

Aw mercurydust :cry3: I know my kids won't come back, but I do beleive they can see me and send me messages.

I have no fear of death (painful dying yes) but I look so forward to going and being with all my kids again!
oh geez, long as they don't live in cages in heaven, so many kids that would not be heaven to have to clean all their cages..

That is a beautiful poem, when my Aunt lost her handsome, professor son to cancer at 42, this is the poem she had put on his funeral card, of course changing the word to child, it to me is the most meaningful poem I have ever read! :flowers1:

Back