Leia isn't doing well... now at the rainbow bridge Dec 1

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindsayfawn

Well tomorrow is the big day for Leia she will be spayed and have a tumor removed that is on left side and she also has a small cyst, that's what Dr.Dunnett thinks it is, on her back that will be removed. The tumor is really small so that's good though I have noticed that she's looking very old lately. Her fur seems to look more poofy like Gloria's did when she was sick.
I know her having the mites wouldn't have helped this situation but I think they're gone now as everyone isn't itching as much.

When I pick her up at 3 tomorrow I also have to bring in a few of the girls for Dr. Dunnett to look at to make sure the mites are gone. I'm going to bring in Franka and Emily for sure. Franka's right eye has a lot and I mean a lot of prophrine around it. She had a small cut by her eye when we took her in from her previous owner, I clean it a few times a day but it seems as soon as I wipe her eye down the red stuff is around her eye with in a few minutes!
Emily has a tumor on the inside of her left leg. So we'll have to get Dr. Dunnett to check it out and then get a date for her to have it removed.

Talk about the year for tumours *sighs* hopefully once we get all this done we won't have to go back to the vet for a while lol it's starting to be our second home!

Wish our Leia good luck :)

I just got back from the vet. It's not looking good for Leia :( I'm really worried. They found another tumor that was massive and they had to take out mammary glands? I think that's what Dr.Dunnette said. Leia was under for 45 minutes and has 3 huge incisions. She doesn't look good at all when Dr.Dunnette took me back to see her. Dr.Dunnettee is really concerned that Leia hasn't come out of it yet and isn't showing any signs of moving or anything.

I'm really worried that she may not recover...I have to call at 5:30 to see how she is. I'm so tired I worked all night and got off at 8 am then took Leia in and then had to go in for 3 to take some of the other girls in to see if the mites are gone, which they are, and to have Emily looked at. EMily will have her tumor removed on the 29th.
Needless to say I'm soo tired and I have to work 12-8 tonight...going to be a very long day and night *sighs*

Thanks Jo...I really hope she makes it...but she didn't look good she didn't even respond to me when I was holding her :( She's just looked so old lately much like Gloria did...keeping our fingers crossed she pulls through. I'm going to call in a half an hour to see how she's doing.

I really hope Leia pulls through.

I have to tell you that my Ivy was like that shortly after her spay/2 tumor removals and 3 incison areas just like your girl and she was way out of it for awhile and did not move for hours so there is hope. Ivy was not her self for at least 24 hours after the surgery. I know that is not encouraging but Ivy did survive and is healthy as can be. So fingers and tails crossed it all works out.

Keep us posted.

I have Leia home! I'm glad she didn't have to stay the night at the vet because I would rather her be here with Ang and me. She's very groggy still and doesn't look good. Her fur is very puffy looking and she just looks so old and worn out. Her poor tummy doesn't look that great and when I picked her up I noticed a little bit of discharge on my hand which I think is normal?
I have her in the green ferret cage and put a hot water bottle in there with a blanket over it to help keep her warm. She didn't want to lay on it though and just stays in the milk carton so I put it close by so at least some of the warmth will go to her because she does feel quite cool to the touch.

She managed to lick off some baby food off my finger so that was good to see! She was licking at her tummy a little, I'm hoping she won't pull the stitches out to bad like Raina did last time. Although Raina was moving around more which is why I think she pulled them out.

The Vet said the second mass was very large and she took out as much as she could but she said she's really not sure if she got all of it because it was so close to her arm. She didn't want to have to amputate a good arm just to get all the tumor. I'm hoping that it won't grow back where she did the spay as well.
I'll be keeping a close eye on her. I took a few pictures and a video. I didn't want to handle her to much though 'cause she's not feeling good at all. She has metacam to take every 12hrs the doc said. Does that seem kinda long in between doses?

Emily goes in for her tumor removal next Wednesday I hope hers goes well.

For some reason the picture wouldn't save when I turned it. Can see where they had to shave up her side.
dayone2.jpg

dayone.jpg

Can see her tummy a little. I wanted to get at least one look because when our girls have surgery I take day by day pictures and keep a day by day journal for them that I put in our Rat Log Book.

What a sweetie... she looks like she's been through the ringer. Keep her warm and eating, that will give her so much more energy to recover.

I'm really impressed that she took her metacam without me having to mix it. her sides don't look to sunken in so that's a good sign. But she is very very very slow moving when I had her on my lap to see how she was doing other wise she just stays in the milk carton.
She'll be sleeping in our room for the next few nights. I'll make sure Ang tries and gets her to eat some more baby food. She seems to like this kind has rice and veggies 'n stuff.

I just looked over and Leia was out of the milk carton and eating the baby food on her own! Yay that's a good sign!

I'm glad she's eating... She'll be in my hopes in my hopes & prayers. I hope she's looking & feeling a whole lot better tomorrow.

Leia seems to be doing a little better today. She was moving around a little more in the cage but keeps mostly to the blankets. Made kinda a little cave out of the blankies for her and she seems to like that. She ate some rice crispies this morning and finally drank some water on her own so that's a good sign. She's still looks down though not moving around much but I don't blame her with those cuts on her belly.
Thanks for all the well wishes :)

Leia is doing much better :) She's moving around a lot and enjoying her out time with the girls. They're pretty careful with her so that's good. She hasn't picked at her stitches at all! I'm really impressed. We still have her in a separate cage but with Elizabeth in there to keep her company. We'll put her back in the other cage I think in a day or two. Her wound by her arm was seeping a tiny bit yesterday so I want to make sure she's healed up a bit before she's in the FN because of all the stairs.

I'm so sorry she's having some rough days. My experience is that those are days you & the kid are more 1 on 1 than ever and special stuff can happen, and you kind of miss them when the kid is good to go back to the rattie family again. But that's a no lose thing, eh?
I'm glad she improving, too slow for sure - it has to be long days at your place waiting for new positives. But she's going in the right direction (Hey Leia baby) and everything from here on is just an up for her & you.
Sorry this has been so hard on her & you. But so glad she is gonna be ok.

Back