Left in a box, out in the cold...*Update*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mercurydust

It has been almost a week since I lost my Lily Bear...and though I am not as depressed about her loss as I was the first couple of days, I am still sad. Their is an empty space in my heart. Yesterday, was my one day off from work last week, so all of my run around errands were squeezed into one day. Had to make a stop at my favorite pet supply store to pick up some treats and food for the fur kids because they have the lowest prices and it is a very pleasant little mom and pop store-and they don't sell pets. Well, while I am in there, on the counter I see a cardboard box-inside are four baby, I mean tiny, little rats all huddled into the corner. The clerk noticed the 'WTF' expression on my face and explains that someone, they didn't see who, walked up to the store and left the box with the babies in it by their door. :( We are having a real cold snap right now, so it was maybe 28 degrees outside that day? Not as cold as some of you up in Canada get...but for those wee ones it was very cold. They weren't sure how long they were out there, but when someone noticed them they were quickly brought inside. They were four little black and white hoodie dumbos...terrified and cold. Poor babies! Ugh I was furious! I enquired as to what they were going to do with them, and they lady said her neice has rats and was going to give the girls to her, but she wasn't sure what to do with the boy. That is where I come in. I offered to take him. I have been wanting another boy-and he needed me. She was apprehensive at first about letting me take him, but once I whipped out my Blackberry and started showing off pictures of my rats here at home, she agreed. I slipped the little guy into my hoodie pocket, where he rode around with me all over town for the rest of that day. He even went with me to dinner at an italian restaurant, tucked into a ball in my warm pocket. Every now and then I would slide my hand in to check on him, and he would lick my fingers. He has a bit of a sniffle, so I have started him on some baytril and he is going to see Doc Fennel on wednesday. He is so tiny...I guess maybe four weeks old, possibly five? He is such a little lover, sweet as can be. I don't understand how some people can be so ignorrant and thoughtless....
But, their idiocity is my gain, and I have another little one to love. So, meet Merrick.
P1030021.jpg

A bit shy...
P1030004.jpg

What a face!
P1030012.jpg

Such a handsome little guy...I love his markings.
P1030017.jpg

Lookit them whiskers!
P1030014.jpg

You will never be cold again, wee one.
P1030020.jpg

Omg, the ears! They never seem to stop. He's a lucky little boy! Is his fur a bit thin, or does it just look that way in the butt picture?

Pink

I am absolutely in love... Seriously, if I lived closer & was allowed another rat, that boy would be long gone! I don't know how anyone could walk away from a face like that. & tame to the touch right off the bat. amazing! :heart:

My mother always told me things happen for a reason, I do believe you got a gift from your dear Lily Bear.
Merrick has no idea how luck he was when that person dumped him at the door. Congratulations. :D

omg how can anyone abandon an animal like that.. i dont care how desperate you are... thats just wrong... thank god that clerk noticed the poor innocent rats in there and was compasionate enough to bring them in.
maverick is such a beautiful boy... it breaks my heart that he has such sad/unsure eyes.... he looks confused.. i can tell he really likes you but his eyes look like they are worried he might not get to stay or something.. poor lil guy.. once he figures out he has a forever home with such a wonderful family, hes gonna be so happy... what a lucky kid. im so happy you found eachother :heart: ..
i just want to cry

He is adorable, He is lucky to have you and you are lucky to have him :)

The little guy does look like he has thin hair though. Probably lice. Id try some revolution.

What a wonderful ending to this story! Merrick is adorable :love7: , and I am so glad you happened in at the store at exactly the right time. A perfect way to help heal your heart after the loss of Lily.

Awww, what a sweetie! Someone knew you had a hole in your heart that needed filling...... He looks like he needs a rattie friend to snuggle up with now that his sisters are gone.

Can we talk about fate for a second here???? Talk about meant to be! He is SUCH a little DOLL.

Many kisses to the baby.

breakthenight said:
He is adorable, He is lucky to have you and you are lucky to have him :)

The little guy does look like he has thin hair though. Probably lice. Id try some revolution.

Nope no lice on this guy. His hair near his bum is just a lighter shade than the rest of his hood. He has hair just like Lily did...not quite full rex, but soft and wavey. He is doing great. He is very social and sweet as a pea. No more sniffles! I can tell this guy is going to be a casanova.

We have decided to change his name. Merrick just isn't sticking..so for now we just call him Baby. This morning he met the big boys in my bed. Harry and Owen are both so sweet and gentle I thought, why not? It was a chill introduction, after a few minutes the three of them were curled up inside my blanket-and the site of those two wide rear ends and the wee tiny one in the middle cracked me up. Harry is almost two pounds of man-rat...so the size difference is comical. I will have to take pictures the next time the meet. :giggle:

Back