Leela - July 10, 2010 to July 9, 2012

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

After almost a lifetime of abject fear, and biting, and blood shed on my part, my little halfie girls are working it out. As of this morning I have pts one (Mae) last week, 2 have URI's (a nice girl Jennie and Elsie my extreme fear biter, but both let me medicate them), and poor Leela is being pts this morning. They made it to 2 years old with nary a sneeze between them and only Mae's early growth mammary tumours were a problem.

Leela, was one of my most shy and was very fearful. I sadly don't get to handle and palpate my halfies like I do my domestics so when I saw her on Saturday and pulled her out...I was shocked. It looks like she had an abdominal tumour that lay in wait for awhile then erupted. I carefully look at these girls every day but must've missed the signs since she often hid. Suffice it to say that I knew there was nothing I could do for her but manage her pain.
undecided.gif

I noticed while I was holding her and patting her that she didn't seem to mind much anymore, almost like a switch had gone off. I put her back in her cage but she lay in the front and just looked at me as I patted her (carefully because the others still will bite).

So later on that day after letting the metacam do its work for a few hours, I let her out on the bed and tried to give her a more special time on her last day. It worked and was good for her and especially for me. She was approaching me and climbing on me and I even got a couple of random licks.
beatingheart.gif

Leela will be going to my vet this morning, and gently let go to join her gentle sister Mae. She is on the bed again eating baby cereal, and she already has had her ears rubbed with rescue remedy to take the edge off I hope.

sad.gif

She was the most darling baby, a very obvious one with her white marking going up behind her left shoulder.

aug13Leela3.jpg

aug13Leela1.jpg

A little older :D
sep6babygirl5.jpg

One of these girls
giggle.gif

oct28wildiesall3up.jpg

An older lady
oct1halfiebelly.jpg

Poor little Miss
jul7Leela5.jpg

jul7Leela6.jpg

Boggling for the first time I have ever seen...

jul7Leela1.jpg

and finally being a domestic rat...

Bobbling around (she never exhibited any pain but she was very instinctual)
jul8Leela2.jpg

Walking through her baby cereal
cheeky.gif

jul8Leela3.jpg

Chewing on yummy books and letting me pat her
grin.gif

jul8Leela.jpg

and enjoying the tunnel to observe and nap :heart:
jul8Leela4.jpg

She was a beautiful girl... so sad to be leaving this way. But at least, you got to really enjoy each other yesterday...

Rest in peace, little Leela... play hard at the Bridge with your sister Mae...

RIP Leela, I guess your sister needed company at the bridge...
Thanks for giving your mom a piece of 'domestic' Leela to remember you by.

Sorry for your loss, Shelagh.
<3

You always do so well with your rats, she couldn't have wound up in better hands then yours.

Back