Laundry detergent

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ut oh... I never knew washers had lint traps... I use a public washer in my apartment. I hope there isn't a note one day that gives hell to the person leaving animal turds in the washer, lol! But I shake them out to ensure all of the poopies are out.

I use a public one, and it's always filled with hair from strangers (dIIIsgusting!) so I carefree leave droppings and the likes, at least things from animals are not as disgusting as things from humans :oops:

I use unscented laundry soap and I run the rinse cycle twice. I also add one cup of vinegar to the first rinse. It helps get rid of any stains and prevents the musky washing machine smell that washing animal blankets leaves behind. I picked up the vinegar trick while doing the laundry at an animal clinic.

Afterwards, I let the hammocks run in the dryer alone without any dryer sheet. I use one of those textured rubber balls (http://tf.en.alibaba.com/product/50378998/51784427/TV_Products/Dryer_Balls/showimg.html) meant to replace fabric sheets, so there is no smell.

:eek:fftopic:
Speaking of those dryer balls, do you use those with your normal laundry? I've seen them at Linen's and Things and often tempted in getting those instead of dryer sheets.

jorats said:
Speaking of those dryer balls, do you use those with your normal laundry? I've seen them at Linen's and Things and often tempted in getting those instead of dryer sheets.
I had some but someone stole them!! Gr.

There use to be this stuff (sadly, I can't remember the name) I bought when I lived in Ontario that had a slight orange smell and supposedly had all natural ingredients and it was awesome for removing rat urine smells! But, when I moved to NB I couldn't find the stuff.

Has anyone tried "Nature's Miracle Stain & Odor Remover"?

Melissa said:
jorats said:
I had some but someone stole them!! Gr.

Speaking of laundry theft, this lady put my rat laundry laundry in her hamper, took our basket to her apartment, and when Erik caught her she said she thought the laundry was her boyfriends :roll: (yeah, her boyfriend has hammocks and holy towels)
We got our laundry back but she stole our laundry basket!! Some people, I swear, what a stupid thing to do.

Linda said:
There use to be this stuff (sadly, I can't remember the name) I bought when I lived in Ontario that had a slight orange smell and supposedly had all natural ingredients and it was awesome for removing rat urine smells! But, when I moved to NB I couldn't find the stuff.

Has anyone tried "Nature's Miracle Stain & Odor Remover"?

I think I know of that orange natural cleaner but can't remember the name.

Just read up on Nature's Miracle and it does sound like an amazing product, safe too.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... y&keepsr=1

Thank you for the link Jorats! I always get scared trying new cleaning products with my rats but I think I'm going to try it because it does sound safe.

I just use regular laundry detergent. I never use fabric softener, since I personally think it makes clothes/materials feel strange.

I've never had a problem with my rat laundry coming out still smelling like rats, and at that most of the time I put it on "regular" cycle (instead of heavy or even super), and no extra rinse. Then again, I am a slight clean freak and do tend to do rat laundry every other day from constant spot cleaning :p

Oh wow, I definitely think that's why! Sometimes I clean the rat cage late at night and put all the dirty laundry in a bag for the night, so I can do laundry in the morning. Even just over night in a closed bag amplifies the ammonia smell, I can't imagine what 2 weeks would do! I try to do my rat laundry while cleaning, or immediately after I'm finished. I never wait more than a day to do it.

Every once in a while I get a rat rag out of the laundry and it's still just a bit smelly... but not usually. Maybe some fabrics hold on to the stink better than others??

I wish I could do my laundry more often but it costs a friggin fortune at our machines. I can't wait to get a house or condo.

Hubby found a package of those dryer balls at the store yesterday. Tried them today with our clothes and some towels, seem to work really well and no added smells :D Which makes me happy because all the perfumy fabric softener sheets make me wheeze. Hoping the balls will work just as well on the rat stuff, especially on the static reducing side of things!

jorats said:
Keep us updated! I would especially be interested in the static guard part of it. :)

Yah that was my thought too, the static. I did some towles tonight in a load and they came out without any strings or fuzz attached. Also through a few random rat towels in with "my" load of towels and didn't see lots of random hairs stuck on anything else.

Will be doing rat laundry tomorrow, so will let you know how it looks!

I like the dryer balls btu you have to make sure you don't have a heavy load because the balls need to bounce around in the dryer.

Melissa said:
I like the dryer balls btu you have to make sure you don't have a heavy load because the balls need to bounce around in the dryer.

Figured that out last night, lol!!

Jorats, the balls work well with the rat rags too. And got just as much lint in my lint trap as a normal load does so its not holding stuff on the clothes. Only thing, as Melissa mentioned, needed to make the load a little smaller so the balls could bounce,

Back