Large subcutaneous lump growing fast

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomeringue

Gary is around 20 months old and has this lump on his belly. I noticed it a few months ago and it has grown quite a lot. The lump is seemingly just below the skin and is quite hard and smooth. Touching the lump doesn't seem to bother Gary at all, and at its current size it isn't affecting his life in any obvious way. He ignores the lump. At the moment it's about the size of a small grape having been the size of a peanut ~2 months ago.

I've taken him to the vets a couple of times about the lump. Both times the vet has said it doesn't show any particular indications of being serious (e.g. cancer), and is most likely an abscess. I've been given the option of removing material from it to check (by the vet under a microscope, with option of sending for histology), but considering it isn't really causing a problem, and that it would cause Gary a lot of distress having it cut/syringed, I've declined thus far.

So my questions: am I doing the right thing leaving it for the time being, and at what point should I take action to have it removed/analysed?

Thank you Rat Shack community for always being there for my rat problems!

IMG20220509172636.jpg
IMG20220509172641.jpg
IMG20220509172648.jpg
IMG20220509174325.jpg

Last edited:
Back