Large Intro

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

her.corner

In a week or so I'm going to be introducing my 4 resident females to 3 new rats, (2 females and1 male).
What I'm wondering is whether, since it's such a large group, I should initially intro them in small groups or whether I should intro them all together at once.

Also, after doing intros for some time, and when it's time to put them together in the cage, should I put them in the cage at different spots or all together in the same cage spot?

When I do big group intros, I like to intro them all together and at the same time. I find it facilitates the intros in that everyone meets and finds out who the alpha is. This is also the time when you find out where your trouble spots are and who you need to keep an eye on.
When it's time for the big move in, the cage needs to be very scrubbed down and even redecorated so it's unrecognizable to anyone. I would put them all in at the same time, same place so they can all go exploring.

Back