Large internal tumor/cyst operation question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratlets

Hey again :)

One of my boys, McDreamy, has a very large growth in his abdomen. A few months ago, the vet and I decided to leave him be unless the growth appeared to be getting larger or interfering with his life or hurting him in any way.

Recently I've noticed Dreamy walking a little funny. I'm not sure if he has injured his leg or if this growth is pressing into something making it painful or awkward for him. I think the growth has progressed toward that particular leg, but I could be feeling something else.

I am calling the vet shortly to make an appointment, but I wanted to get some opinions here. The growth is large... a few centimeters in diameter. Is this going to be too risky a surgery to attempt to put him through? He's been otherwise healthy.

Thanks again!

If your vet is comfortable with it and experienced, it really shouldn't be an issue removing it, and it probably should be removed if it is causing him pain. Since he is healthy otherwise it shouldn't be an issue. :)

Your vet can also do exploratory surgery or just remove the part that might be hurting him. If your boy is otherwise in good health, this should be too risky for him.
Common signs of pain in rats: loss of appetite, lethargy, zoning out, squinty eyes, loss of interest.

Isn't he from FarStar Rattery here in MI? Unfortunately, it seems a lot of the people who have gotten rats from her have had to deal with terrible health and behavioral issues in them (including myself), especially tumors. Along with that, she doesn't care to respond to emails about it, and continues breeding those lines. Blech.

Either way, good luck with Dreamy. Tumors in the abdomen are tricky and most of the time hard to deal with/operate on :(

Well it all depends on Dreamys' age and health (besides the tumor)..
We've had a male that had a tumor of about 3x1cm (hm.. must be apr. 1,2 x 0,4 inch) in his intestines...
We had him operated, but while the vet was about to remove it, he called us and told us that it was too big a surgery, and that he probably wouldn't survive it..
Do you know where the tumor is, and how big it is?

Back