Lady - Eye Issues?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Lady had an appt. to see my vet last Thursday. Sadly it was the coldest day of the winter (-30 C with windchill) and since she wasn't an emergency I cancelled her appt. I still took in Angel for her teeth to be trimmed (that "3rd" incisor has actually improved her malloclusion quite a bit). My vet has now left for a week for her annual vet conference in Florida.

Now I get pics finally of her eye that worries me a little. She's happy and active, I don't smell infection, and she's still on baytril. I am wondering if I should add either dexamethasone, doxy or clavamox?

Mucky eye, I am putting polysporin for eyes on this one now
Ladysbadeyejan16.jpg

Enlarged eye
Ladyseye2jan16.jpg

Ladyseyejan16.jpg

Lasdyseye3jan16.jpg

She's such a cutie. :D She and Pinn are often cuddled up together now that Eggy has left us. :heart:

River had an eye something like that when I got her. Vet put her on Zithromax for 2 months and it cleared right up and never came back.

eyeriver.jpg

Sorry Shelagh......I don't know what to tell you...but it is a very good sign that there isn't any smell.....hopefully it is nothing serious

In Lady's pics, it does look like her third eyelid (nictitating membrane) is up covering the eye. But in the rats' I've had, they could see with their big eyes.

I didn't realize that one big eye could be a complication of myco.

For those of you who are new to the Rat Shack, my Tia (RIP) developed an enlarged eye at the age of six weeks. She was otherwise healthy and happy (though she had been treated for URI when very young). We never did figure out the cause, which may have been an injury that resulted in a blockage, but the eye kept getting bigger. The lens eventually got pushed out of place, making the eye useless to her.

It was probably causing her pain, and it was at risk of rupture, so my vet removed it. She did fine until the end of her life.

Lady's right eye is starting to look like Tia's did.

Back