Lab Rats vs. Regular Pet Rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallblossom

I wish my rats could all die of a quick heart attack. However, that is not the case with pet rats. The ones who don't suffer during their last days. Would getting a lab rat from a university who are less prone to tumor growth (the albinos) be a better choice? I am at the point where rat ownership is not for me. Does anyone have experience with university lab rats (the ones I am referring to are used for behavioural studies)? If so, did they grow tumors? If so, at what age?

All I know about lab rats is that they can be more prone to myco because they are kept in a very sterile environment for study purposes - but as a result, their immune system is often more sensitive to anything outside of that sterile environment. Some are genetically predisposed to certain ailments if they've been altered on a cellular basic to study specific disease processes - so a lab rat doesn't mean 'no problems'; it can be more problematic. The thing with pet rats is that they have set life span and most end up with something as they age. Tumors are very common. You can spay females or neuter males when they're young to try and lessen the risk considerably, but even then, the average rat life span is about 24 to 30 months. A few go before that, and a few go longer, but there's no guarantee of health, other than trying to adopt from certified breeders who have been at it for a while, have outcropped their lines, and have only bred from healthy stock - and even then, the risk factor is less, but not absolutely guaranteed. I know it's tough losing them to disease and that rats don't live as long as cats and dogs - but in reality, domestic rats live much longer than their wild counterparts - so a two to two and a half year old rat is actually doing quite well. Older than that is 'good gravy' as far as luck goes. I'm not sure what else to suggest - but lab rats aren't any less risky for disease processes; not that I've ever heard of anyway.

Carol is right. Lab rats are prone to illness once they leave the labs. Also, lab rats used in behavioural testing could very well have developed behavioural issues. My mom had two brothers and one would groom his brother to the point of making him bleed. I also noticed that some don't really care for human companionship. They have learned that humans are not nice and so never fully become a "pet".

I dont know much about lab rats but I think with any rat its like rolling dice.. You really dont know what you'll get health wise. I have a rat from our pet store that is 20 months old and she has never been sick and no bumps or lumps.She is the poster child for what every rat owner hopes health wise in a rat.But then I have some that have conatant myco flares,Uri's,abscesses,cancer..ect.Its a chance we take as rat lovers and yes they have short life spans but I think that just makes you appreciate ever moment with them even more.

Lab rats won't necessarily be more prone to myco or anything else unless they're 1.) a specific strain known/bred to be susceptible, or 2.) "germ-free" (delivered via caesarean section and raised in a sterile environment). Generally you can't get germ-free rats as a pet owner, because they know these rats don't do well outside the lab and also because they're expensive as balls to produce. And the others... well, to be honest, I'd think if anything they might be more resistant simply due to the fact that they live in conditions which facilitate the spread of germs (they don't live in huge colonies all together, but there ARE lots of rats in one room, so aerosolised microorganisms/viruses can travel easily), and the sick ones don't get bred or get euthanased. I wouldn't say you'd get longer-lived/healthier rats from labs than pet rats, though, particularly as laboratory research rarely uses rats older than a year, so they have no specific need for animals who stay healthy into old age.

That said, I have a friend who regularly adopts ex-lab rats from a local university, and she has always had great success with them. The three I've met have been friendly, lovely creatures, just as healthy and as un-healthy as non-lab rats (they had sniffles on and off or as they got older, and one died of a suspected stroke or heart attack, suddenly with no warning at 29 months, but like I say... no different from non-lab animals). This is in Australia, where the ethics standards for lab animals are quite high - I read over the specifications for rats a few months ago, actually, and it's incredibly comprehensive! (Check it out - http://www.animalethics.org.au/__da...2512/housing-rats-scientific-institutions.pdf It's a fascinating read! Did you know that you shouldn't have computers in the same room as your rats? Or that albino rats can suffer degenerative changes in their eyes from only 60 lux of light? [For reference, 50 lux is supposedly the level of "family room lights" and 320-500 lux is "office lighting," according to the wiki article.])

My experience is with Australian labs/lab rats; other countries may be different. If you're interested, though, it's probably worth calling your nearest university to see what you can find out. Each lab is run independently (a "lab" in a university is under the direction of a single head researcher, so there can be many labs at a single university), so if you manage to track someone down and you get a "no," ask them if they can give you contact details for any other labs which work with rats who might be interested.

Then, if you do manage to find a potential "yes," ask lots of questions - what strain are the rats (write it down so you can google it later - some strains are known by number/letter codes like SD-Tg(P23H)1Lav), what characterises the strain, what research are they doing, what specific experiment(s) have the rats been used in, will this experiment have any effect on the rats' lifespan/health/quality of life, how old are the rats/how old will they be when they're released, what sex are they, is there anything else you should know about them, etc.

The lab my friend gets her rats from is only too happy to give healthy rats away, as the other option is euthanasia at the end of the experiments. In some cases they can't offer the animals for adoption, but the possibility exists for many others. Worth looking into if you're interested.

Back