Lab blocks?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up some sort of lab blocks from my local petstore (not the petco that just opened up down the street which I'm not too happy about). I don't have any idea what kind they are, they have all the food just in bucket-like things that you just scoop out and bag however much you want, but they look decent. These rats came with a bag of Kaytee Forti-Diet, which just looks nasty, all grey and dusty. These blocks are more of a tan/brown color and look better.

I wish I knew which brand they were though, then I could find out if they're actually good or not. But the salesgirl didn't seem to know what she was doing, so no help there.

mercurydust said:
So now that Kim's Ark is closing, :( , what other sites sell Harlen Tekland labe blocks?

If you live in the USA I would order from petfooddirect.com and freeze it if possible. It is a really good price.

I am actually even thinking about ordering from there myself for my next bag, and driving down to the border to get it.

The Hagen Extrusion diet is all corn as well, and personally I would rather feed Purina products myself (I have in the past)... but everyone has their own opinions. :)

Does anyone know anything about the lab blocks made by 8 in 1? Walmart sells it and I was just wondering....finding decent lab blocks is starting to become a challenge!

It says on the box made with corn and molasses.....so they might not be so great.

NezumiNeko said:
You can really tell if lab blocks are good. When my rats were on Kaytee, their poop was dark, loose, and stinky, and it came out slightly wet. On HT 2014 the poops are lighter in colour, very firm, and don't smell at all!

I definatly found the same thing once I changed to feeding HT. I was worried at first by the change but then I saw this. Thanks

My 5 girls are 10X more messy then my 2 boys. Actually my two boys are basically clean freaks, they rarely poop or pee on the shelves, and they trained themselves to do this!!!

I love those two!

How come rats aren't allowed to eat corn? I've never fed it to my rat since I personally don't like corn, but why can't they eat it?

Fresh corn is fine. There is something in the other stuff thats not good for them and I can't remember why...I am sure someone else will have a better answer...

Back