Lab blocks?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup!!
Dried corn may contain mold ...
Fresh corn and frozen corn are ok and ground corn as an ingredient is ok too.

I would strongly suggest Harlan too.

I started using Harlan Teklad several months ago. My rats really do like it much better than the Mazzuri block and the Forti-Diet. In fact, they never touched any of the Forti-diet, so I tossed it out. They did eat the Mazzuri, but when I gave them Harlan Teklad, they scarfed it up. Also, I give them Oxbow Regal Rat. They are heart shaped and and supposed to be good as well. I used to offer the Nutriphase from PetSmart and they always ate it...but it makes them fat! and they don't need all that seed mixture either. In fact, one of my rats that I have now used to eat the Nutriphase but as I intro'd new ratties I weaned her off of it and now she is fine with her new diet. I still give fresh fruit and veggies, but they also enjoy some baby rice cereal from time to time and some cooked rice and noodles ocassionally.

Regarding Corn: This has been taken from Debbie Ducummon's Rat Care Book: "Dried corn can contain high levels of fungal contaminates which has been shown to cause liver cancer in rats. Corn also contains high levels of both nitrates and amines. These two compounds can combine in the stomach to form nitrosamines which are carcinogenic. Other foods high in nitrates include beets, celery, eggplant, lettuce, cucumber, radishes, spinach, collards and turnip greens. Therefore, I suggest you limit the amount of these foods in your rat’s diet. Some fresh corn is fine, but if you feed your rats blocks, try to avoid brands which have corn as the first ingredient."

does anyone have a link to the extrusion food? ive been trying to google it and cant find it lol. and thank you for explaining the corn question jujubeespmud :)

Back