Kitten in need..; I feel useless

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClownCarOnFire

So a couple days ago I stumbled across an ad on Craig's List about a kitten being given away for free along with 2 adult cats. There's the kicker though. The kitten supposedly has a broken leg.
The owner is a young girl who just graduated high school. She wants the kitten to be helped, but her grandmother isn't willing to pay anything for the kitten to see a vet.
[Apparently a tv fell on his leg or something. The typing from the girl was atrocious and hard to understand.]

So I have been frantically trying to do whatever I can to find help for the kitten.
I called the humane scoiety, and no. They are full and won't take him.
I called Protectors of Animals, and again, no. They won't take him either.
My last resort is Animal Control, but they never seem to return my calls and are always full as it is.
I honestly have no idea what to do, and the whole thing is stressing me out. I haven't been getting decent sleep, my stomach is in knots and I keep crying on and off because I feel so ridiculously helpless. My mom is even snapping at me for getting so involved, but I can't just turn the other cheek.

I was thinking about taking commissions to try and cover the vet bill, but since it could go up and over $2k, it's pretty unrealistic. Plus my personal pets need caring for too.
[No, I am not coming here throwing a pity party in hopes for money. I understand that many of your are dealing with animal emergencies. Just bouncing ideas off you guys.]
I am sorry guys, I am just a wreck right now and figured I could maybe get some advice here. Or if nothing else, some sympathy. Since my own family isn't giving me any. :gaah:

IMO I think you should go see the kitten first, see if its leg is truly broken. If it is, then I would take the kitten and have the suffering thing pts. I am so sorry CCOF. :sad3:

lilspaz68 said:
IMO I think you should go see the kitten first, see if its leg is truly broken. If it is, then I would take the kitten and have the suffering thing pts. I am so sorry CCOF. :sad3:

Yeah, I was planning on trying to meet up with the girl at like..a Petco or something. Somewhere public, to make sure that it's not a scam or some creeper out to get me.

But I looked up the name and found her FaceBook and she looks young girl, but graduated high school this year.

I am hoping that it's not broken, but she said he wasn't putting his leg down when he walked. The last thing she said was that he's more playful now.
I am trying to get her to send me pictures of the leg as well, but so far nothing.

I will keep you guys updated. If you have any ideas on what I told you about how he's acting, please tell me.

Maybe call some vets in your area and tell them the story.. some vet clinics do adoptions. Or if you have any privately owned pet supply stores who would be willing to do a donation drive and adopt him out? A store where I work has a kitten missing an eye that they are taking donations for so he can have surgery and he already has adopters applying for him.

UPDATE : The kitten has died. :C I did what I could to try and help it but the moronic 'owner' has contacted me and said it did not survive.
However, it has a sibling that needs help and now is my chance to help.

I will keep you guys updated if you wish.

Awh good luck. RIP little kitten.

I know how it feels getting overinvolved and upset, sucks when no one will even sympathise let alone help.

its a shame that the kitty had to go thru its short life that way .. a broken leg in a kitten didnt have to be the end of its world -and to be honest from my experience working in the emergency animal clinic, didnt even have to be an expensive fix if it had been taken care of right away. i will never understand why people take on pets if they kno they are going to refuse to take care of them .. it makes me mad that this girl who is at least 18'ish would act that way , but it totally sickens me that her grandmother would be that way ..

my advice, Deanna, is to be extra careful in the situation with trying to help the other kitty this person suddenly supposedly has in case this is someone trying to run a scam on craigslist (and it has the earmarks of it - someone trying to sound really young, helpless in their situation to help a baby animal and financially in need to save its life.. then the animal in question dying after u ask for more info and pics)

I tried to take the other kitten for foster, but the owner apparently found another home for him already.
The whole situation still makes me very angry but eh..
Hopefully it's true and the kitten has a loving family.

Back