Killing our pet rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crumbilina said:
Can someone provide credible sources for these claims about GMO food info. If you want to make these claims, fine. But you need to site CREDIBLE sources. Without scientific, peer reviewed evidence, none of these claims should be taken as truth. This is why we HAVE the scientific method.

AND even with the scientific evidence, you need to take into account dose, frequency of feeding, how they were fed, how the results were interpreted AND sometimes most importantly, who funded the research. For example, if Monsanto funded research saying that GMO foods are fine and all is well, are you going to believe it? This same thing holds true of a company who wants GMO foods gone. If they fund a study saying that GMO foods are bad, you should think that there is a huge possibility of bias there. Who would gain from the outcome of that research??

People see scientific research and things like "Dr. So-and-so proved this" but never look into the actual study. Look at the amount of people who STILL believe that vaccines can cause autism from ONE lousy research paper YEARS ago. This research has been disproven time and time again through various methods and people still believe it! It drives me batty.

I dont know about GMOs, I really don't. Personally, I dont care and quite honestly, in my experience, organic can cause just as many issues as GMOs. Just PLEASE be objective when you read things. Look at the research and ask if it is good research, look at the funding agencies and see if they have an agenda. Look deeper then just the headline of the paper...

My thoughts exactly, thank you for summing it up so well.

sometimes I think you have to make difficult choices

I have two cats, and cats are obligate carnivores. they need to eat meat. I feed them canned cat food, because it's the best affordable option I have

I know that the meat they use is often garbage, but I've had cats like to nearly 20 without suffering so..........
I mean, sometimes you have to put things into perspective and sometimes you have to choose the lesser of two or more "evils" or less than ideal options

it's sucks but no one can be perfect, and we do the best we can, as some one else mentioned

GMO's don't bother me nearly as much as the patenting of seeds, and related stuff that I'm too tired to go into.
I can't imagine that GMOs' are a good thing, but at this point, is it even possible to avoid them?
You have to put a lot of trust in an industry (and in our case here in the US) a lot of trust in agencies like the FDA and dept of agriculture, who have proven themselves to be untrustworthy.

it's a crap shoot if you ask me.
you do your best, that's all anyone can do.

I know Oxbow has fish in it, but since I feed my cats meat, I'm not horribly upset about feeding my rats a bit of meat.
They are predators in the wild, so they're not exactly opposed to eating meat themselves
:giggle:
I'm not going to impose my beliefs on my animals, I guess is what I'm trying to say.
It might be possible to feed a cat a vegan diet but I seriously doubt it, and I'd bet you'd have a very unhappy- and probably unhealthy- cat.

[quote="Petunia"
It might be possible to feed a cat a vegan diet but I seriously doubt it, and I'd bet you'd have a very unhappy- and probably unhealthy- cat.[/quote]

I just want to say that it is safe and healthy to feed cats a balanced vegan diet. I know of a vet and many more who feed their cats a vegan diet. The diet has the appropriate amounts of taurine and carnitine, which by the way is also added synthetically in all the meat kibbles, otherwise those kibbles would not meet the required nutrition for cats. A friend of mine's cat actually chose to eat the Amicat over the other brand. It is palatable and healthy.
That said, I feed my cats a meat kibble too.

Personally, I can't ignore the fact that GMO foods are now everywhere and pretty much unavoidable.
I don't care of there's no "conclusive" studies that have been done because it all comes down to logic v.s. what the U.S./Canadian chooses to publish and chooses to allow the public to know.

Huge companies like Monsanto are altering the genetics of 'crops' so that they are not edible for other species in nature, so that they do not naturally sprout or propagate, so that they grow even without rich nutrients in the soil. It's not just corn anymore. Anytime you consume some GMO corn (which is basically unavoidable), it's like you're consuming a piece of advanced weaponry. Monsanto doesn't care about health, or feeding the needy. That's just a bi-product of their main goal, which is to have a monopoly on seeds and to make MONEY. They say this, in sugar-coated terms on their own web-site. They expect farmers to pay, year after year, and if they don't use their technology, they get no support, and no money and have their land bordered by un-kill-able GMO crops.

I agree with some of the others though, that it's so prevalent now, you would have to be really rich, or live on a sustainable farm to avoid it completely. But I don't think that means we shouldn't at least TRY to provide what's best for ourselves and our rats. As ratmondo mentioned, we have been in touch with Oxbow, and they did give us the same pleasant, but non-committal answer as Joanne, but that's why it IS so important for people to ask that an all-organic, all-vegan rat food be available. It doesn't mean you HAVE to purchase it, but as a loving rat-parent, I would like to have that choice. Like ratmondo, right now, we feed Oxbow + all organic fresh fruits and vegetables. All the young, still growing rescues get a mix of organic grains and oats + wild rice whenever I can get it on-sale.

At the end of the day, I feel like people should kinda look at what history has also said about science and how people seem to think it is somehow separate from politics. I still remember doing a project in school and seeing those ads about tobacco from the 1940s when it was supposed to have a whole bunch of medical and therapeutic benefits. Yeah, some scientists were saying, no, it causes cancer, it kills your lungs, but at that time, the government was making HOW much money off the tobacco industry? No one took that stuff seriously. Everyone wanted to be the Marlboro Man, or they wanted to be WITH the Marlboro Man. And same thing with the factory farmed animals. Who takes all this research seriously about the health detriments of dairy, and meat protein seriously EXCEPT for vegans? It took almost a hundred years for it to be accepted by the general population that tobacco will kill you. It's taking even longer for people to take it seriously about the health detriments of factory farming. I don't think it's strange or wrong to believe the same can occur with GMO foods.

Finally, main reason why I choose Oxbow over Harlan despite the fish in Oxbow:
First 5 ingredients of Harlan 2014: Wheat Middlings, Ground Wheat, Ground Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Calcium Carbonate
First 5 ingredients of Oxbow Essential: Whole Brown Rice, Oat Groats, Wheat Bran, Wheat, Soybean Meal

Not an expert here, but I know what happens when I eat too much corn. -__-

Anyway. Would like to speak to Oxbow, definitely about taking babysteps, and maybe first just replacing the fish with a cheap legume or bean for protein instead. Make it vegan first, then work towards an all-organic version that's available separately.

jorats said:
http://endocrinevet.blogspot.com/2011/1 ... older.html[/url]

a high carb diet leads to insulin resistance in cats which leads to diabetes, this has been proven
A vegan cat food has to rely on high carb veggies and grains because the highest protein only comes from high carb veggies and grains.

I [s:3vp30shb]only[/s:3vp30shb] feed canned food, kibble has been shown to cause a lot of health problems for cats (ETA my old girl does get some small amnt of "grain free" kibble as a treat)
http://www.catinfo.org/

"Proteins derived from animal tissues have a complete amino acid profile. (Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins. Think of them as pieces of a puzzle.) Plant-based proteins do not contain the full complement (puzzle pieces) of the critical amino acids required by an obligate carnivore. The quality and composition of a protein (are all of the puzzle pieces present?) is also referred to as its biological value.

Humans and dogs can take the pieces of the puzzle in the plant protein and, from those, make the missing pieces. Cats cannot do this. This is why humans and dogs can live on a vegetarian diet but cats cannot."

I wish there was better food for cats. I wish they could survive on just veggies and grains, but I've not read anything that would convince me it's possible. Sometimes I wonder why no one has tried to come up with a cat food made from their natural prey like mice, birds etc (not saying they should, but I wonder why they haven't) when was the last time you saw a cat take down a cow? some cats may eat fish, but aren't tuna deep sea fish? what cat can catch them? :lol: in fact, what cat would attack a chicken or a turkey or a duck or a deer or any of the other animals cat food is made from. Now it seems really odd to me that we've never seen mouse or vole or sparrow cat food.
but then I"ve been up all night and have had too much time to ruminate on this :laugh4:

my first cat LOVED corn, it was the first ingredient in cat chow and in most other cheap kibbles (and still is the main ingredient in many of the cheaper foods along with wheat gluten, corn meal, rice starches etc)
She loved corn the way most people like a high carb food, it's quickly converted to sugar and gives you that sugar high.
She would steal canned corn, and corn on the cob and pasta, too LOL
It also gives you that sugar low, which leads you to feel hungry and go in search of more food, which is one reason may cats fed cheaper dry foods are "always hungry" and will eat a lot. They often become obese and that only paves the way for diabetes, along with the work load put on their pancreas from all the carbs they were never meant to eat.
Just because they like it and eat it doesn't mean its good for them.
At Easter time one year, I ate nothing but half price jelly beans for like 3 days. Liked it, ate it, ate some more- and wondering why I was soooooooooo tired.
:laugh4:
I'm not kidding, it didnt' seem at all bad to me to eat just jelly beans. Clearly all that sugar had a detrimental effect on my thinking processes as well :laugh4:
Sugar highs and lows. This is from around the time when I found out I had fatty liver disease and I just assumed it was from eating too much fat- so I was like, woo hoo! I can still have sugar!! (amazing that I don't have trouble with my blood sugar- yet!) turns out that sugar is much worse for your liver than fat is. Much worse.

so, anyway, I'd need to see a lot of good research to convince me that a vegan diet is safe for cats. a LOT.
me and my many diabetic cat loving friends have been working for years, decades really- to help change the pet food industry to provide better ingredients for their foods and to reduce the amnt of high carb ingredients. they are now going grain free, but sadly are substituting many of the grains with cheap starchy veggies like peas, potatoes, carrots

Just found a site about the Amicat and I would never give this to a cat
These are the ingredients (it's a dry kibble so right off the bat its not good for a cat- they need their water WITH their meal)

Corn, Corn gluten, corn oil, rice, pea protein, pea fiber, Brewer's yeast, dicalcium phosphate, linseed, hydrolysed vegetable protein, potato protein, sodium chloride, calcium carbonate, rapeseed oil.

Corn corn and more corn- something you really want to avoid! I don't know what the full impact of the GMOs is going to be, but I think it's prudent to be very cautious about the stuff. the fact that the manufacturers are clamping down so hard on ppl who want to do independent research is a very bad sign that even they know it's problems.
GMO's are unavoidable to a degree, but just because you can't totally avoid it doesn't mean you should choose something that is primarily made with the stuff. Corn is bad in so many ways- just for the fact that its so high in sugar and can cause insulin resistance (this is already proven, please don't make me have to dig up all the tons of studies on it, all peer reviewed dble blind good studies- I got other stuff I need to do LOL)

the cat probably loves it because of the corn and the hydrolyzed plant protein, which is where MSG is often hidden ( I suspect my cats and many others love FF because it has MSG hidden in it, and they are not required to disclose that)

hydrolyzed plant protein is just awful awful awful!! (from what I"ve read so far, I'd need to look into this more deeply and will do so soonish)
"Hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP) is produced by boiling foods such as soy, corn, or wheat in hydrochloric acid and then neutralizing the solution with sodium hydroxide. The acid breaks down the protein in vegetables into their component amino acids."

for more:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/hydro ... d-1.944579

"Even though HVP may contain 10 to 30 per cent MSG, products that contain HVP do not have to be labelled as containing MSG. Product labels have to identify MSG as an ingredient only when it is directly added to food. It does not have to be identified as an ingredient when it is a byproduct of another process.

People who are sensitive to MSG should avoid foods containing ingredients or additives that include the word "hydrolyzed."
http://www.naturalnews.com/028323_Hydro ... n_HVP.html
Hydrolyzed vegetable protein is no good for anyone, animal or human
http://www.naturalnews.com/028323_Hydro ... n_HVP.html

more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid-hydro ... le_protein

wheat gluten and corn gluten, etc have been shown to cause/aggravate IBD in cats
IBD is very serious and leads to intestinal lymphoma eventually

so um I know there's more but that's about all I can handle for now

everyone has to make their own decision based on the info they have on hand
If you can help provide good solid info that will help people make more informed choices
great
but sometimes people simply do not have the time nor the interest nor quite frankly, the money, to do all the research or to buy the very best thats' available

you do the best you can
if you want to be an advocate, you do it knowing that presenting the information without a lot of drama and scare tactics is the best way to get people to listen

and you dont' saturate all your efforts with one potential audience, you move on,
do different things in other places, and show by example if possible.

repeating the same message over and over again just turns people off and is more likely to offend them so much they'll never hear what you're trying to say.

RKbusy said:
Personally, I can't ignore the fact that GMO foods are now everywhere and pretty much unavoidable.
I don't care of there's no "conclusive" studies that have been done because it all comes down to logic v.s. what the U.S./Canadian chooses to publish and chooses to allow the public to know.

Huge companies like Monsanto are altering the genetics of 'crops' so that they are not edible for other species in nature, so that they do not naturally sprout or propagate, so that they grow even without rich nutrients in the soil. It's not just corn anymore. Anytime you consume some GMO corn (which is basically unavoidable), it's like you're consuming a piece of advanced weaponry. Monsanto doesn't care about health, or feeding the needy. That's just a bi-product of their main goal, which is to have a monopoly on seeds and to make MONEY. They say this, in sugar-coated terms on their own web-site. They expect farmers to pay, year after year, and if they don't use their technology, they get no support, and no money and have their land bordered by un-kill-able GMO crops.

I agree with some of the others though, that it's so prevalent now, you would have to be really rich, or live on a sustainable farm to avoid it completely. But I don't think that means we shouldn't at least TRY to provide what's best for ourselves and our rats. As ratmondo mentioned, we have been in touch with Oxbow, and they did give us the same pleasant, but non-committal answer as Joanne, but that's why it IS so important for people to ask that an all-organic, all-vegan rat food be available. It doesn't mean you HAVE to purchase it, but as a loving rat-parent, I would like to have that choice. Like ratmondo, right now, we feed Oxbow + all organic fresh fruits and vegetables. All the young, still growing rescues get a mix of organic grains and oats + wild rice whenever I can get it on-sale.

At the end of the day, I feel like people should kinda look at what history has also said about science and how people seem to think it is somehow separate from politics. I still remember doing a project in school and seeing those ads about tobacco from the 1940s when it was supposed to have a whole bunch of medical and therapeutic benefits. Yeah, some scientists were saying, no, it causes cancer, it kills your lungs, but at that time, the government was making HOW much money off the tobacco industry? No one took that stuff seriously. Everyone wanted to be the Marlboro Man, or they wanted to be WITH the Marlboro Man. And same thing with the factory farmed animals. Who takes all this research seriously about the health detriments of dairy, and meat protein seriously EXCEPT for vegans? It took almost a hundred years for it to be accepted by the general population that tobacco will kill you. It's taking even longer for people to take it seriously about the health detriments of factory farming. I don't think it's strange or wrong to believe the same can occur with GMO foods.

Finally, main reason why I choose Oxbow over Harlan despite the fish in Oxbow:
First 5 ingredients of Harlan 2014: Wheat Middlings, Ground Wheat, Ground Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Calcium Carbonate
First 5 ingredients of Oxbow Essential: Whole Brown Rice, Oat Groats, Wheat Bran, Wheat, Soybean Meal

Not an expert here, but I know what happens when I eat too much corn. -__-

Anyway. Would like to speak to Oxbow, definitely about taking babysteps, and maybe first just replacing the fish with a cheap legume or bean for protein instead. Make it vegan first, then work towards an all-organic version that's available separately.

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

the first five ingredients for HT is the reason I prefer to feed Oxbow

I like your overview. Infuriatingly it is all about the money, in so many instances now, and we are killing our planet and causing untold suffering for billions of those at the the bottom, and that bottom is getting bigger while the wealthiest of the wealthy get so rich it's insane.
But the last laugh will be on them when they realize no amount of money will get them clean/safe air, or water or safe food.

of course we hope to try to stop it to getting to that point and we are making progress
painfully slow progress but any thing we can helps

I think we need better organization and better ways to reach people, instead of spinning our wheels and preaching to the choir.
scare tactics are not a good way to go about it, I don't think.
fear is not a good motivator

people sadly need to see what's in it for them before they'll make changes or take action.

well I took a deeper look, because I wanted to find out what research has been done on GMOs
and the results are well, just as terrifying as the patenting of seeds- it's all tied in together

I don't know how reliable this source is, but everything that they say sounds plausible to me (the threats and discrediting of scientists who voice any concern about GMOs, the huge Ag businesses throwing their wt around, all over the world, it's terrifying, but it's mostly likely true)
http://www.globalresearch.ca/gmo-resear ... on-at-risk

there you have the reason why there IS no reliable research on GMOs
the companies won't allow it
They patented those seeds and they can say who gets to have them and who doesn't.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21296423
http://nutritionfacts.org/questions/gmo ... our-foods/

and "somehow", (big lobby, big bucks) these huge companies have managed to get the FDA to claim that GMO foods are not substantially different than other conventionally grown foods, so they don't even require testing

here's a non-GMO shopping site that might help as far as food for humans goes:
http://www.nongmoshoppingguide.com/

this is why I go back to the movement to stop the patenting of seeds in the first place,
see:
http://seedfreedom.in/

http://youtu.be/Dj8a0k_THCk

and here's something I haven't watched yet but will be watching soon:
http://www.seedsoffreedom.info/

To be clear, I'm sure there are risks to human/animal health associated with GMOs but we really don't know what they are. I fully believe GMOs should be labelled and no one should be able to patent a seed and hold a monopoly on our food security like Montsanto does.

I think GMOs pose a much greater risk to food security around the world because of the unforeseen consequences they've had on biodiversity and the way they encourage large scale, continued harvesting of the same crop, which ruins the land for future use.

On paper it seems really innovative to make crops that are insect or drought resistant or fortified and many argue that these are the solution to famines and food shortages around the world. Except that if you look into it a bit, there is a lot of evidence to show that famines and food shortages are caused not by an inability to produce food but a lack of infrastructure to distribute it. An argument could be made that it would be better to focus out efforts on diversifying local agriculture and improving infrastructure to improve food security but there's not as much profit in that. Instead we have huge multinational companies monopolizing food production (WTF?!?!) and a system that encourages monoculture.

There are a lot of issues surrounding GMOs that require attention, debate and research but making unfounded statements like 'killing our rats' only takes away from the genuine issues and spreads misinformation.

It IS more expensive to buy non-GMO products because they're harder to cultivate. That's the draw of GMO crops - more production at a lower cost. It's our consumer culture - the one where we prefer cheap goods and lots of them, doesn't matter the quality - that has allowed and contributed to their success. If you can't feed your rats the way you would like because it's too expensive, don't blame the rat food manufacturers - figure out a way to care for your rats they way you believe they deserve to be or don't keep them if you can't afford them.

On the comparison between HT and Oxbow, I switched to Oxbow after trying it and seeing the reduction in the quantity and smell of stools. That made me think that Oxbow had fewer fillers and more of the food was available to the rats for use. More so, with this thread it dawned on me that with this group of rats I have been very fortunate and most of my rats have been so much healthier than previous groups. I don't know if that has anything to do with the change in diet but there is a correlation.

On the topic of an organic rat food: Oxbow makes organic pellets for rabbits and guinea pigs. Because of what I assume is a smaller variety of available ingredients, the nutritional breakdown for their Bene Terra is not as good as that of their Essential line. All of their rabbit pellets are better than the competition's but I think the Essential line is a bit better than the other two.

:thankyou:

this is pretty much what I was trying to say but my mind is muddled with personal stuff right now
OH who am I kidding!?! I've been having trouble expressing myself for a long time now LOL stress or no stress :oops: :oops: :roll: :lol:
very well written Victoria :bow: :nod:

There are a lot of issues surrounding GMOs that require attention, debate and research but making unfounded statements like 'killing our rats' only takes away from the genuine issues and spreads misinformation.
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Ratlover2013 said:
Petunia said:
I'm not going to impose my beliefs on my animals

Agreed :yeah:

Well, really when you think about it, feeding our pets a man made kibble devoid of the real food our pets eat but with added supplements to make them healthy, we have already imposed our belief on them no matter what.

jorats said:
Ratlover2013 said:
Petunia said:
I'm not going to impose my beliefs on my animals

Agreed :yeah:

Well, really when you think about it, feeding our pets a man made kibble devoid of the real food our pets eat but with added supplements to make them healthy, we have already imposed our belief on them no matter what.

hmm, yes I've been contemplating that all night/morning (and edited my earlier post)
I think kibble is not good for cats at all, but even when it comes to canned food, it's certainly not what they'd eat in the wild.
I was wondering why we dont' can mice and voles and other things that cats in the wild eat, how did it come to be that people decided to can up some chicken, turkey, beef and fish etc (I believe dry kibble was first made to use up the leftover crap from the production of human food, most pet food companies and probably all of the first ones, were an offshoot of a company that manufactured some sort of "people' food)
food is so perverted now-
we have a a new giant supermarket in town with very low prices that has driven out some of the smaller stores, so there goes some of our diversity

but the remarkable thing about this super supermarket is how much NON food food it sells
I mean, there are entire aisles devoted to chips, candy, snack foods, high sugar over processed cereals and breakfast foods, processed foods, sweeteners, syrups, toppings, desserts of every imaginable kind, baked goods, ice creams a fresh bakery section, and that's before you even get to the huge meat and meat prouducts and all the sorts of fats and oils and margarines and cheeses etc

there is so little actual real whole food in the store, it's insane

what does that say about what we are eating!?!
most people have diets that are full of pure junk.

yeh sorry totally off topic
i should go take a nap :lol:

This has been really interesting, I too did some research on Monsanto and found out so much more that is corrupt and wrong with this corporation. I didn't know that they developed DDT, Agent Orange....and a few other nasty chemicals. Plus farmers in India have committed suicide from losing their livelihoods due to Monsanto. :( It's insane how greed and profit drive almost everything on our planet, to the detriment of honest people.

I mainly wanted non-GMO for health reasons, but now I also don't want to 'support' Monsanto by buying them, which is almost impossible. But, we can continue to demand labeling of GMO products (from what I hear, they are required in EU countries to label it) and we can ask for alternatives and support organic local farms that offer non-GMO if we are inclined. It's hard to stay on top of what is really going on out there, but we do what we can to thwart corruption. If only we had Superman capes. :nod:

There's a new movement called Occupy Monsanto, I joined but I could not get to the rally in the capitol.

people are fed up with their crap
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
speaking of seeds- one of my favorite places to get seeds is JLHudson
http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/

as he writes:
"Governments around the world continue to clamp down on the free flow of seeds. The USDA continues to fulfill its stated goal of destroying small farms and independent plant-based businesses through regulations explicitly designed to disadvantage the small producer. "Get big or get out!" said Earl Butz, Secretary of Agriculture under Nixon, and this policy continues to this day with Monsanto connections in the Obama administration. This is not a partisan issue—both parties are irredeemably corrupted by corporate monies. 'Republican vs. Democrat' is a shell game. The FDA is shutting down independent herb producers and restricting access to foods and supplements. In the European Union, medicinal plants are being banned, and the Codex Alimentarius is destroying local, artisanal food production by shutting down small producers.

Agriculture departments in many countries are making small-scale imports and exports impossible.

Many seeds we just can't import anymore, and we have to go through unbelievably wasteful and expensive contortions to bring others in. Enjoy them while you can!"

From the many research I've done, I know that some GMO with components of agent orange inside the flesh of the fruit or vegetable or grain is not a good thing. It simply can't be. But the regular GE (genetically engineered) fruits and vegetables are not a bad thing. We've been eating these for decades now.
There needs to be more concrete research.

From what I have read, and what a doctor and a scientist mentioned in their online podcasts, GMOs have been in the food supply for 15 to 20 years, and doctors are reporting that they seem to be causing the huge increases that have been occurring in many diseases and allergies in humans, contributing to death.
Hybrids have been in our food supply for decades ... these are not GMOs, and changes to the genome of hybrids where created by a very different method that used natural processes.

GMOs and hybrids require a great deal of toxic chemicals, esp. the GMOs. GMOs do not produce more food, they deplete the soil in the long run, and they do not preform as well during times of poor environmental conditions such as drought. But GMOs and hybrids are easier for huge factory farms concentrating on monoculture to grow. And chemical companies such as Monsanto can make millions in profits from GMOs.
According to scientists, GMOs have never been shown to be safe for consumption or the environment.

The older, heirloom varieties that were very genetically diverse do not require the toxic chemicals, produce just as well, and preform better during poor environmental conditions. People all over the world are struggling to save what remains of these varieties and people can help by growing them and saving and exchanging seeds.

I don't know much about this topic but what little I do know I find to be frightening.

victoria said:
Have you looked into Harlan? Get off your high horse, you're supporting animal cruelty when you buy their blocks.

ETA: HT does not claim to be vegan, only free of animal protein or fish meal. There's a very good chance some of the added vitamins and minerals are animal derived.

High Horse ?

I don't think so.
I am writing about a deep concern I have.
I am doing my best to live a vegan life (I am far from there, not perfect and it is a process that isn't easy given my circumstances)
primarily in order to not participate in animal cruelty and to a lesser degree for health benefits and for the environment (read the UN convention/statement calling for everyone to become vegan).
Since science has found that both GMOs and the consumption of animal products cause disease and all sorts of health issues in humans, I want to keep these things out of the diet of my pets.
Harlan does not include animals on its list of ingredients, they may use them for added supplements - you are right I have not had the opportunity to check into it.
But then, it sounds like you haven't either. Any info you want to share would be appreciated but please keep rude comments/insults to yourself.

crumbilina said:
Can someone provide credible sources for these claims about GMO food info. If you want to make these claims, fine. But you need to site CREDIBLE sources. Without scientific, peer reviewed evidence, none of these claims should be taken as truth. This is why we HAVE the scientific method.

AND even with the scientific evidence, you need to take into account dose, frequency of feeding, how they were fed, how the results were interpreted AND sometimes most importantly, who funded the research. For example, if Monsanto funded research saying that GMO foods are fine and all is well, are you going to believe it? This same thing holds true of a company who wants GMO foods gone. If they fund a study saying that GMO foods are bad, you should think that there is a huge possibility of bias there. Who would gain from the outcome of that research??

People see scientific research and things like "Dr. So-and-so proved this" but never look into the actual study. Look at the amount of people who STILL believe that vaccines can cause autism from ONE lousy research paper YEARS ago. This research has been disproven time and time again through various methods and people still believe it! It drives me batty.

I dont know about GMOs, I really don't. Personally, I dont care and quite honestly, in my experience, organic can cause just as many issues as GMOs. Just PLEASE be objective when you read things. Look at the research and ask if it is good research, look at the funding agencies and see if they have an agenda. Look deeper then just the headline of the paper...

I did post links on here to a free online conference with podcasts from various researchers, scientists, doctors etc regarding GMos for anyone interested. There are still a few more podcasts to come if you want to check it out.
Most research is not being published and scientists who have done research have lost their jobs - global multinational companies fund universities, lobby governments, etc and have a huge influence.

Petunia said:
It might be possible to feed a cat a vegan diet but I seriously doubt it, and I'd bet you'd have a very unhappy- and probably unhealthy- cat.

jorats said:
I just want to say that it is safe and healthy to feed cats a balanced vegan diet. I know of a vet and many more who feed their cats a vegan diet. The diet has the appropriate amounts of taurine and carnitine, which by the way is also added synthetically in all the meat kibbles, otherwise those kibbles would not meet the required nutrition for cats. A friend of mine's cat actually chose to eat the Amicat over the other brand. It is palatable and healthy.
That said, I feed my cats a meat kibble too.

Jorats, would it be possible to post details in a separate thread?
I would be very interested in this info and there may be others who would be as well.
I would like to share the info with my vet.
The horror and physical pain I feel at the thought of purchasing meat products is one of the major reasons I have not adopted a cat.
I have heard of several extremely healthy vegan diets for dogs but no details of healthy vegan diets for cats.

I have read that pet food companies (rendering plants) include the bodies of animals pts at kill shelters in the USA in their food .... at least according to several animal rights organizations and rescues in the US. (I assume the dogs and cats must have been gassed otherwise the poison would get into the food ... although in light of the animal deaths due to pet food and the response by pet food companies, they likely wouldn't care) :redhot:

At this point in time, it isn't impossible to stay away from most GMOs if you do not eat processed food or animal products (animals are often fed GMOs). Only certain foods are GMOs and you just stay away from those (such as corn, wheat, etc) or buy those foods organic (as organic are non GMO).

Back