Kijiji ad

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
I was perusing through the Sudbury Kijiji pet ads... cause I'm an idiot but I came upon this ad and it touched me. I thought I would share it here:

I cleaned up your mess today-Sudbury

You decided that you wanted to move to an apartment that didn't allow pets (which is actually illegal in Sudbury). I don't know what lured you. Maybe it was a boyfriend or a girlfriend. Maybe it was a great view. Maybe you liked the woodwork. At any rate, it was more important to you than she was. So you took her down to the shelter, still wearing her cute little pink collar with a bow, and you cheerfully wrote on the card that she was very healthy for her age and friendly and just likes to sleep in the sun! I guess you knew her pretty well - you put her birthday down on the card, too, making me believe you've probably had her for her entire life.

Then you left, secure in your rationalization that somehow, in the midst of puppy season, your seventeen year old dog would find a home. The shelter took a picture of her scared face and big eyes and put it on the web.

For two weeks, I looked at that picture. I hoped someone else would see her fear and feel compelled to help her, but the public wasn't seeing her. She was back in isolation, getting vitamin B shots and subcutaneous fluids. The tech wrote "depressed" on her card. I'm not surprised. I'd be depressed too if I went from "sleeping in the sun" to a metal cage with a thin layer of newspaper.

Finally today, I couldn't stand it anymore. I felt too guilty thinking about her sitting in that cage at her age. So I went down and I got her, and now she's curled up on a fleece baby blanket in the sun in my bedroom. When I go in there, she rubs her head on my hand.

Today, I cleaned up your mess. I felt worse for your dog than you did. And all over the city, other rescuers did the same. They rescued your abandoned cats and dogs and bunnies and exotics. And we all wondered the same thing as we did it: How could you create this situation? How is it that you feel no remorse? How is it that you were you able to walk away from an animal you shared your home with for a year, ten years, fifteen years, knowing that they might die because of your actions?

I'll never meet you to ask you those questions. I just hope I meet the person who will be good enough to give your baby that sunny spot to sleep for the rest of her life (however long that is). She deserves it, and it's a crying shame you didn't have the decency to give it to her. This was originally posted in 2006. I am re-posting because the message hasn't sunk in!

cnn.com

:thumbup:

Thanks .... what a very nice way of writing what I feel much of the time ....

Going to contact the person and see if I can use it ....

I completely agree with her post. It is so sad the rate of abandonment. I like to think that if there is a heaven and a hell there is a special spot in hell just waiting for people like this so they can feel the pain that they caused over and over again whether it was to an animal or a child.

"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."-Mahatma Gandhi "

I had to cry. I don't understand how people can be so selfish.
Our neighbors grandson moved out and let his female cat 'be free'. What an idiot. I spent several years catching kittens, finding homes, having them fixed until I finally caught the poor, scared mom. I love the way the writer put that - I cleaned up his mess.
Thank you to all of you that dedicate your life to helping the innocent. Whether you save one or hundreds you have made a difference.

God bless you all,
Melissa

true sometimes having to rehome pets is legit but most arent unfortunately. i cant imagine just handing over pets of my own though i rather cut off my arm. even rescues i take in end up staying a good portion of the time, esp if they are here for awhile.

my dog that i just put down came from a home that had 2-3 cats and they were expecting a baby. they were afraid sandy would be jealous, she was almost 3 yrs old and wasnt spayed yet either. im so glad i took her home.

Dahlas said:
:cry3: so sad and so true....but I wonder if it only hurts the people that care anyway.
It seems to me as if the majority of people who see these ads are those that don't need the reminder, and those that do need to see them don't. It is very frustrating.
Melissa's ZOO said:
I like to think that if there is a heaven and a hell there is a special spot in hell just waiting for people like this so they can feel the pain that they caused over and over again whether it was to an animal or a child.
Me too. I would gladly do a stint in hell in order to ensure that the fires were kept stoked under their sorry arses.

Until we rescued Jilted, and joined this forum, I was really unaware of how many terribly irresponsible people there were. Frankly it breaks my heart. Makes me believe there should be a test to pass before getting a pet... or a fine for those who give them up.

Thank you for posting the ad Jorats! And how true.

I noticed in the ad the dog was quite old and it reminded me of when I volunteered at the SPCA. The saddest cases were the older dogs, especially those who only had one family all their lives and then suddenly found themselves abandoned. One family had a grandmother who was being put in a nursing home but the elderly woman was very reluctant to leave her senior dog behind so her "loving" family lied to her and said they had found a very loving family to adopt her old dog - they actually brought the dog to the SPCA. The poor old dog, who was obviously loved dearly by the elderly lady because she was very well taking care of, became very depressed and refused to eat for us. Luckily, we found a wonderful elderly couple who adopted the dog - we later found out that the dog became very attached to the elderly wife which was fine by her. Sadly, there are very few happy endings for senior animals.

Linda said:
One family had a grandmother who was being put in a nursing home but the elderly woman was very reluctant to leave her senior dog behind so her "loving" family lied to her and said they had found a very loving family to adopt her old dog - they actually brought the dog to the SPCA.

Dear lord, how could anyone bring themselves to do this? Not only to the dog, but lie like that to their poor old gradmother.
Please, please, whoever is in charge upstairs, let those people end up abandoned in some home with sadistic caretakers when they are old.

I get so upset by peoples uncaring unthinking attitude. Mumsy took in two girls that I adopted from her. They were purchased for their kids and then their kids got 'bored' of them. So they were put down in the basement until the father felt bad enough to find someone to take them in. Olivia and Pearl are just the sweetest most adorable girls. Pearl is such a goof ball and loves to make you laugh. Olivia has such as attitude I swear, but she's very loving. I am the lucky one that gets to see these happy faces and gets to love them. I am happy I have them and wouldn't give them up.

BUT

It makes me sick to my stomach that parents allow the 'lets get a pet' then 'oh I don't want to care for them I have something better to do' and then they just get given away. What is gods name are they teaching their kids. That pets are expendable. That's disgusting. When I grew up my mom never let me have my own pet, it was a family pet where everyone chipped in. I am happy for that. My parents have never let me not help. Even the guinea pig we had when I was 5, I helped clean the cage we all did.

AND the people who just decide that they can let this be someone elses 'problem'. Our dog we had Riley he and his brother were purchased as puppies by a man, he started dating a woman and they decided to move in together and she told him 'it's me or the dogs' and he chose her. He left them with his mom who left them in the basement. Finally at 3 months she gave them to the local OSPCA, at 6 months Rileys brother was adopted, why Riley wasn't I have no clue and at 9 months we found him and took him home. He didn't know what anything was but he was just so eager to please, wanted to make us happy, wanted to stay with us. He lived 9 years, he was a sweet loving dog and I still can't believe that guy gave him up.

ARG :rant: I'm so mad now.

When i was little i used to live with my grandmother. we always used to take in cats that needed homes. We became pretty well known for it also where i was from(Sadly often found people abandoning cats at our door). we would take in pregnant cats, take care of the babies then help find them homes. Once my grandmother got to a surten age though she decided no more cats. but that was a lie haha. she still has Brandy who technically is MY cat. I adopted him at kent county animal hospital when i was volunteering and my mom went out west to work and i was living with my grandma. they fell in love with him and wouldnt let me take him back :p. since then ive rescued my dogs, fish, reptiles, birds, snakes, rats, hamsters, mice, a pidgeon.(Through the years not all at once lol). I believe that all animals in this world deserve to be loved and to find a good home. At this moment im the go to girl for any kind of exotics for kent county animal rescue(Their just starting out and dealing mostly with cats and dogs right now.) One of the hardest things is finding good homes for animals.Ive had times when i adopted out animals to people i thought were forever homes. and the next week they were for sale on kijiji even though i had made agreements that if they should have to get rid of them to bring them back here.

That was one of the most beautiful things I've ever read. I'm going to print it off and ask the local spca to post it up and hopefully email it to a few other rescues across the province.

Thank you for posting that ad Jo. It was so touching.

Back