Keeping Rats Warm in a Power Outage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Karma

Hi All,

I just got a very distressing email from a friend in Oklahoma. I don't know if you guys know but apparently they have had crazy storms down there and they have lost a lot of power. My friend's power had been out for 5 days and for some of the storm she couldn't even be in her house. She has rats including babies and needs to keep them warm until the power comes back on.

Any suggestions?

If she has hot water she could fill up water bottles and put them in the blankets so the rats can lay next to them. She will just have to check them often to refill and make sure they are not chewing on them.

I read somewhere that animals can survive much much better than humans in the cold. As long as they are out of the elements (wind rain etc.) Their survival instincts will kick and you would be amazed at how well they do in a disaster situation.

We were without power for a few days during the storm, and I gave the ratties lots of extra fleece, covered their cages with more fleece (covered three sides plus top) and made them warm food (oatmeal) to eat. They did great with this, and were even excited about the "new stuff" (covered cages) they could play with through the bars of the cage!

Yah I have found another thing that helps is to throw a nice thick blanket over three sides of their cage, keeps the heat in from their body heat at least and with one side being open to air, they are ok.

Back