Just need some advice on rehoming

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephanief987

I've been in tears for hours trying to figure out what I'm going to do with my ratties and would really appreciate your input on how to deal with this.

My fiance and I live together in a 3 bedroom house, I have rats which have their own bedroom. All together we home ~15 girls and 8 boys. They are all well taken care of and I love them dearly.

Unfortunately we've decided to split due to a lot of disagreements and problems, I have to move into an apartment for a little while till I can get things straightened out. I cannot take the rats with me because apartments wont allow them and I'm going to be having a baby come early December.

I'm in such a mess I don't know what to do, I know people are going to look down on me for getting myself into this but I'm honestly trying everything I can. I've posted adoption ads and nobody seems interested at all, and I've also asked family members if I could keep them at their house, got a big fat "NO" from everyone. Bryce wont keep them here, he works full time and it's always been me to do everything with them, he said when I go they need to go to.

What do I do? I'm broken.
- Stephanie :(

Sorry to hear about your situation :( Having a child on the way is rough on a relationship.

Hope you can rehome your babies, or something comes up and you dont have to :(

You live in Ontario?
According to members on this forum, the law in Ontario says that you can have pets in apartments.
Just don't mention them before you move in.

SQ said:
You live in Ontario?
According to members on this forum, the law in Ontario says that you can have pets in apartments.

I think a big part is that she is about to give birth and she is now on her own. I am so sorry Steph. :sad3:

SQ said:
You live in Ontario?

Really?
Where we are now, it said in the lease that we have to ask our landlord person before bringing any new pets in the home. And if I CAN, then I will be taking the ones my parents were going to look after for me because things are still going to be rough on my own.

It has EVERYTHING to do with her being on her own now, and having a new born baby.
We've been sucesful in getting 5 of the older girls re homed, and all the boys.
There's still 7 girls that come with a VERY nice, already meshed, Martins cage that is HUGE, and is often used for cats in shelters!

Please PM me, or Stpeh for pics and details!

stephanief987

I'm sorry you are having relationship problems w/your baby's Daddy. I was 23 and left while I was pregnant with my son.(He is 17 now) I know you are probably scared and having to worry about your pets too.......Keep your chin up no matter what~that baby depends on you so much. :cuddle:

you guys are amazing with all your nice words, and caring thoughts...
I'm working with ALL my might to find the remaining girls a home.

Pics of the girls are comming, the cage pic, albeit, blurry, but it's up!

Thank you everyone for your kindness!

Lyndsy came today and adopted all the boys and took the FN as well, it's an amazing start which I'm extremely thankful for. Now I just have the cat cage with the 7 girls to find a home for! 5 girls have been adopted and going to their new home tomorrow.

lol, yes, the FN take down wasn't an easy one, but we did it!
I'm now in the process of getting back together, lmao!

The boys are good, the 3 baby boys are running around on my sewing table with Roo, and the 6 adult boys are in the playpen ATM.
They've had some food, a nice drink, and now they are sleeping....
:heart:

So sorry to hear about your situation :( You're not to far from me and I would love to help out but I'm afraid I'm full up at the moment.

Best of luck rehoming them! You've come to the right place. :cuddle:

I think places in ontario can say no dogs but for the most part small caged animals and cats are always accepted and they can't say no if you already have them when you move in. But you can get in trouble if you get a new dog while you are living there, thats how my old apartment worked anyways. I think the only time they really care is when you're renting a house or something.

Back