Just joined

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mimmom

I have 3 rats now. We adopted two today. We had one who was a single rat for a couple of weeks. Niko is old. She's probably close to 2.5. But she acts quite young. I didn't want her to be alone any more. When we adopted her she was with her sister, Yuka. Yuka died last summer and we adopted Peri then in the fall we adopted Haldir. Niko and Peri got along extremely well from the moment they were introduced. We brought in Haldir to the mix in the fall. Haldir is a neutered male. He hadn't been housed with girls before and was a very high anxiety little boy. We worked hard with him but he never did calm down. He and Peri did well together but then Peri died from complications that came with a wound she suffered. We think Haldir got hurt and bit Peri. He didn't mean to hurt her, I know it. Haldir is back with his brothers where he seems much happier than he ever was with us. So that left Niko all alone. We've been trying to figure out what to do with Niko and finally found two little rat girls at a local humane society. They are a bonded pair. One is the mom and the other is the daughter. Now we just have to figure out how to introduce the pair to Niko. Anyway, that's my rats. I'm a mom of 2. My son is 15 and has asperger syndrome. My daughter is 12 and is very anxious. The rats are very comforting to us all.

Tizzy is the one drinking from the water bottle. Her mom, Zaphora, is in the background. This photo was taken just before we adopted them.

This is our tiny senior rat, Niko. She's smaller than pretty much any other rats I've seen except for her sister, Yuka. Yuka died last summer. :(

I think they would be called fawn then. They look kind of like what orange cats look like in terms of their hood color. Zaphora is hooded but Tizzy doesn't have a stripe down her back as much as it is some blotches that would be a stripe down her back if they were connected.

lilspaz68 said:
fawn can range from light orangey-yellow to a deep orange. The eyes are usually lighter ruby.

We introduced Zaphora and Tizzy to Niko today. They are completely unconcerned. It was so easy. We'll do another couple of meet-ups before we put them all in the cage together but so far it's been SUPER EASY. None of them seem particularly territorial and none of them are fearful.

Back