Just Curious - How Does Your Vet Euthanize?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Dr Munn does a sedative injection, the rat gets very relaxed and sleepy in the owners arms, then they are gassed down deeply (checked carefully to make sure they are...no response to pinching of toes, etc), then given an IC (heart) injection of euthasol. Heart stops very quickly after that. The client is NOT allowed back while the euth is happening.

I have never had an IP injection done, so I know very little about it, so it would be good to learn the different methods vets use.

My vet does the same as Dr. Munn but he doesn't always use a sedative. We tried it last time I euthanized at another vet and I was really pleased that he didn't struggle with the gas as rats with pneumonia often do, so I will be asking for it next time I euthanize.

I stay with my rats when they're euthanized but all three vets I took my rats to in Ontario would not allow it. Isoflurane is not risk free and I think it's a question of liability.

I hold my rattie in my arms and I hold the gas nozzel near but not on my rat's face because they do not like it when it is on their face. I am petting my rattie etc.
They do not like the smell of the gas/oxygen mix so may move around etc and I let them.
After a couple of breaths of gas/oxygen mix, my rattie becomes groggy and falls asleep in my arms.

Once my pet is asleep in my arms, I place the gas/oxygen mix over their nose as it will no longer bother them as they are unconscious.
After awhile my vet will check to make sure they are deeply unconscious and have no reaction ie gentle pinching of toes and no blink reflex.
Then, when I am ready, my vet will inject my rattie in the lower abdomen or into the liver with the stuff they use to put cats and dogs to sleep.
I hold my rattie, still recieving gas/oxygen mix, in my arms until they stop breathing and their heart stops beating. This may happen immediately or it may take awhile. The vet checks twice over a period of minutes to ensure the heart has stopped.

I used to have my rats injected with a sedative before being given gas but they didn't like being injected, some reacted to the sedative with confusion or panic, and the sedative didn't seem to make it easier for them then just being held and comforted by me while gas/oxygen was held near them.

I have never had a reaction to the gas or felt groggy. It isn't near my face and my vet opens a window.
For me it is extremely important to be with my pet and comfort them, no matter how much it hurts my heart.

My vet is the same as SQ except once they are asleep she injects straight into the heart. I've only ever come across 1 vet who wouldn't let me be present (he was in North Bay) other than that I've been lucky enough to have vets who let me stay with my ratties.

I too stay with my pets when they are euthanized. For the rats we gas them down first, and then they give them an intracardiac or intraperitoneal injection. The IP injection just takes longer as the drug has to be absorbed instead of being pumped through the body from the heart. My vet did say that sometimes they will panic with the gas if they have respiratory problems, so I may go with a sedative first if I have somebody like that.

My rats that have has respir problems breath easier with the gas/oxygen mix
I'll have to watch and see if they try to get away from the gas more then the others ... none of them like the smell

I am unaware of how my vet routinely euthanizes, but I have her do an IP injection over IC after an injectable sedative has been given first. I've only had 2 girlies euthanized so far and for some reason Luma wasn't sedated with the IP injection. She did an owie stretch after it was given but she went really fast, so I try not to feel too much regret for not saying anything.

Eddy was given an SQ sedative (I will have her write down the drugs maybe next time) and immediately began falling unconscious. It did take awhile for her to be fully, but when she was she was then given an IP injection. I was very pleased with that way and will request it from now on. Both Luma and Eddy were having a very hard time breathing.

I am allowed to be present and always am and always will be. :heart:

I'm going to have to go back thru my notes but I've had 3 different vets do euthanasias and one of them has changed her methods, as well as doing it differently based on the circumstances and my preference. when I have more time I'll go thru each one and the pros and cons from my perspective.

Dr. Munn must change his rules a bit for each client.
I have never had a rattie PTS and not be with them.
Dr munn gives my sweeties an injection to sedate them until they are asleep and feel no pain.
He checks to see the pain response then gives another injection to stop the heart.
I hold them throughout until they pass.
He is so gentle and calm telling them how loving and sweet they are and how much there "mom" will miss them.
He was particularly upset about Olive who he said was one of a kind.
He uses her blindness and shows her photo to people who have to have there pets eyes removed.
I couldn't ask for a more wonderful vet for my rats and kitties.

My vet will gas them under first, and then they give them an intracardiac or intraperitoneal injection as well. They always seem very peaceful with the gas just slowly making them sleepy.

Back