Jorats : What I will do re diet - posted on October 6 2018

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
It is very hard to find the exact amounts and making sure your rats have all the nutrients they need.
I would need a crew of food scientists to help me. lol

But when I get rats again, what I will do: mix 1/2 cup cooked broccoli, 1/2 cup cooked quinoa, 1/2 cup cooked sweet potato, 1/2 cup blueberries and 1/2 tsp blackstrap molasses.
I would mix that together really well.
And feed them 15 grams of this mix daily as well as 1/8 of a tsp of green mush.
Any fresh foods not fed within 3 days need to be kept frozen.
Try and make your batches to last only 3 days, or less.
Fresh is better and organic is better.
I would also give them an Oxbow block every couple of days.
That's what I would do

Rats should eat about 15 grams of food a day. Some will need more and some will need less.

You can add turmeric.
As for the flax meal, that would be a good addition as well.
Broccoli, cooked or raw is good.
As for the quinoa, because of the phytic acid rinsing and cooking it should be just fine but if you have a sensitivity, sprouting it is even better.

Kale is the best source of vitamin K and also a good source of calcium. I would definitely do that daily.

(Note from SQ: there are videos on youtube that show how to soak and rinse quinoa thoroughly)

Re turmeric:
I would do a pinch only and with some black pepper.

Info quoted from the post: https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/creating-your-own-rat-food.35874/#post-497276

and from September 3 2018;
I am now leaning towards fresh foods for rats keeping protein and fat low. Grains/carbs are the energy source for rats. So whole grains like oats, farro, bulgur, brown rice, (organic) corn will not only be the energy source but also make great protein for rats. A big variety of veggies, kale, broccoli, peppers, carrots, chard, collard greens, mixed spring veggies like romaine, arugula, endives, red and green leaf lettuces and a bit of fruit like anything berries since they contain the highest antioxidants.

Last edited:
I do want to add to closely monitor your rats if you are doing a whole foods diet. Look for any changes even in behaviour. If you feel something is off with your rat, see a vet and/or change their diet back to a high quality block for a while.

Back