Jonathan March 26, 2006 - October 16, 2007

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Jonathan was one of 14 babies born six days after his mommy Nettie, daddy Byron, Auntie Corrie and twelve half brothers and sisters were rescued from a snake owner.

April3youngmotherlookingafterherbab.jpg

April8youngmommywith13dayoldbabiesp.jpg

Jonathan and his family were fostered by godmother for almost two weeks and then they were taken to a rescue in Nova Scotia.

April510dayoldbabies690X517.jpg

April13DavidandJonathanperhaps690X5.jpg

..................................................... Jonathan and David

Twelve of his siblings found homes but Jonathan and his brother David were placed in a foster home when they were five weeks old.

On Sunday, Oct. 8 2006, godmother drove to Nova Scotia and picked Jonathan and David up for me. I had found a good home for them but the people changed their minds. David and Jonathan remained with me.

2006Oct08Hello.jpg
Nov01Jonathanexplores.jpg
2006Oct08curiousboy.jpg

Having these two wonderful boys was such a comfort to me as their mother Nettie had died a tragic and untimely death. ( http://jorats.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=653 )

Nov022006Jonathanclimbingoutdoor.jpg

Jan08Jonathan690X517.jpg

Jonathan and David were quarantined at my mother’s home and then introduced to my large group of ratties. Adam did not welcome the two boys and I had to resort to the “bathtub method”.

Feb0042007integ.jpg

Dec15bathtubintegration04690X517.jpg

........................................ introductions continued

Finally Adam adjusted to the situation and the two boys moved into the large martins with the others.

Sept2007eatingpeas.jpg

Jan07Jonathanlookingattree690X517.jpg

....................................................................... Jonathan's first Christmas

Jan30Heycomebackwithmycookie02690X6.jpg

................ Jonathan grabs godmother's cookie and makes a run for it.

Jonathan was a large, active, strong boy. He had a wonderful, sweet gentle personality. Like Caleb had been, Jonathan was respected by the others and a very gentle alpha rattie. Jonathan was a curious, loving boy who at 19 months still bounced across the couch and enjoyed playing.

Jan07Jonathanstandingup690X601.jpg

June2007Jonathan.jpg

Jonathan enjoyed getting off the couch and exploring our new apartment. A few days before he died, he raced into the kitchen from the hallway and allowed me to scoop him up into my arms.

The night before he died, Jonathan enjoyed racing across the back of the couch and bouncing onto my lap for a cuddle.

The day Jonathan died, he sat in my lap and ate his meds. He was a very healthy, happy boy just finishing up his antibiotic prescription. I put him back into the cage with the others and finished giving meds to the ratties. Then I broke up a banana so that I could give everyone a piece. I opened the cage door - ratties had crowded around it, excited to get their banana - and handed out pieces of banana. Then I noticed Jonathan walking quickly around the cage, spraying blood from his nose and having difficulty breathing. I scooped Jonathan up and he calmed down. I rushed him to the vet. An xray was taken and Jonathan was put in the oxygen tank.. Jonathan’s upper jaw was so badly broken that I was told there was a 1% chance that surgery would be successful and allow him to breath properly.

Jonathan was given pain meds and brought to me. Jonathan breathed oxygen from a mask I held near his face as I petted him and talked to him. The pain meds acted as a sedative and once Jonathan was quite sedated, he was given gas (as well as oxygen) through the mask I was holding. Once Jonathan was deeply unconscious, he was injected in the lower right abdomen.
And my sweet little boy died ......

I am broken hearted ..... and I don’t understand how such a tragic accident could have occurred. There really isn’t any great height in the cage he could have fallen from.

Sept102007Jonathanandgirls.jpg

....................... Jonathan with Leah and Charlotte

summer2007exploring.jpg

......................... Exploring the four young boy's cage
Oct2007intheplaypen.jpg

... the large group of ratties in the playpen at our new apartment

I miss my sweet, gentle boy so very much ...

......................................................................................

[youtube:33bg0zhh]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yYHT-TF4KO4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yYHT-TF4KO4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube:33bg0zhh]

These fluke accidents are so hard to deal with or to accept.
He had a great life with you, he had it all... And now he's waiting for you, not too far, just over the bridge.

I'm so sorry SQ. :sad4:

SQ, my heart goes out to you. I will miss Jonathan, too, and I'm so glad I got to visit him and remember him as vibrant and just plain adorable.

You gave him a wonderful life and a heartfelt tribute.

:rose2: Hugs to you.

Back