Johnny had the lump near his hip removed

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Johnny had the lump near his right hip removed today. The vet decided not to operate on John's neuter abscesses as it would have been too much for the dear boy today.
Johnny is doing well and happy to be home.

August24John.jpg

In the carrier, home from the vet's

August24Johnny.jpg

August24LukeJohn.jpg

Luke and Johnny ready to return to their family

Who is Johnny? Is he one of the Liverpool babies.......the litter born in your car? Glad he did good during his surgery....hope his abscess heals up soon.

Yes Dahlas :thumbup:
Thanks.
Johnny is one of the 8 Liverpool babies born in the backseat of my car. Johnny and 3 of his brothers (Casper, Luke & Rhubarb) have been struggling with neuter abscesses for over a month. (Paul was having respir. problems so wasn't neutered).

jorats said:
Any idea what that lump was?

Good to hear Johnny is doing good!!

no idea what it was.
The vet had previously done a needle biopsy and didn't know what it was at that time.
My finances are very limited so I didn't have it sent away.
It was just under his skin, easy to remove and had been growing steadily for several months.

I wonder if it's one of those dermal cysts. We don't usually get those removed but then the odd one pops up and it's actually malignant.
I too no longer have the finances for doing histopathologies so I simply rely on what my vet's best guess is.

Could be .... I'm not sure what it was but it was quite large and steadily growing as Johnny became thinner ...
I am very relieved it was easy to remove and is now gone.
Hopefully it wasn't malignant.
As far as we know, my vet got all of it. Fortunately it wasn't attached to anything, just a large mass under the skin.

jorats said:
I too no longer have the finances for doing histopathologies so I simply rely on what my vet's best guess is.
My question would be:
If you did know what the mass was, would it make any difference in how you proceed? I know it's nice to know, but you would still do the same thing, right? Have the surgery, and hope they heal back to health.

Love :heart: the 3rd picture with the intertwined tails!
Hope Johnny is feeling good real soon, and mostly that his neuter problem is soon a thing of the past.

Kisses and scritches to Johnny. :love4:

That was quite a lump, so I am glad that Scott was able to remove it. We are lucky to have such a great rat vet in Fredericton.

Joanne said:
jorats said:
My question would be:
If you did know what the mass was, would it make any difference in how you proceed? I know it's nice to know, but you would still do the same thing, right? Have the surgery, and hope they heal back to health.

There is a type of malignancy that once you go in, it invades rampantly going deeper and deeper. So for that one, it's best to not touch it at all.

My question would be:

If I have the rat's siblings my vet likes to know what it is and if it is malignant she won't remove it from the others. She's even frozen some in case another one develops a lump, then she would send it away to see if she should operate or not.

Hmmmm.........I dunno...........I think I would probably go for the surgery either way, unless it was to the point where it was inoperable. Would do the same if I had cancer - Cut it out of me!

Back