Jesse (aka Loki): Aug 28, 2007 to Aug 26, 2009

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

I knew that Jesse would not have long life, but I was shocked to lose him so soon and so suddenly.... worse yet, when I was on vacation and unable to be with him at the end.

Sweet Jesse was one of the fifteen Oromocto rescues. Those unfortunate rats were bred to be snake food for a couple who had snakes. They had broken up, and her snake wasn't hungry, so the young woman was in a hurry to get rid of those babies. Their genetics were terrible: the mama never made it to her first birthday, all but one of the six boys and three of the girls have passed, and most of the six remaining sisters have serious respiratory problems.

They were all terrified, after starting life in a small hamster cage placed on top of a snake tank, where the cat often jumped up to peer into their cage.

SQ planned their rescue from Halifax. I fetched six of the girls, my rat-sitter's daughter got the boys, and a friend of SQ's got the rest. They all clung in terror to the undersides of the Martins shelves, like little bats. I ended up fostering them after the SPCA bailed on me.

It wasn't long, though, before the babies got over their fears and were enjoying life. There is a 50% chance that this is Jesse (he had a brother who was later adopted by a wonderful couple):
beigeboyshelfsharpenedcropped.jpg

Boysonbox.jpg

Jesse and his brother Ronnie were adopted to Riana, who raised them to be sweet and gentle boys who were totally laid back. She had to find new homes for her rats, so she had them neutered to make it easier to adopt them out. I fostered them during their convalescence, with absolutely no intention of adding to my colony. For starters I didn't want to adopt boys because I am more allergic to them.
LokiJessewithgooliescroppedresized.jpg

But.... I instantly fell in love with Jesse and Ronnie, and they were soon integrated with Bill and Clara & Hilda.

Jesse was a lovely manrat. He was wonderful to cuddle. He loved his food, especially porridge and corn:

JesseVDay2009corninHCcage.jpg

His favourite hangout was the Javakittie Duplex hammock:
JesseVDay2009croppedresized.jpg

He also adored the Canada Day hammock, which was so soft and cosy:
CanadaDayJessecroppedresized.jpg

Jesse's breathing had become more laboured for the last couple of months. We tried several antibiotics, alone and in combo with Baytril, with no real success. He was being maintained on Lasix, and I was planning to try Gentamicin nebulization upon my return from vacation and then heart meds.

He had been doing OK. I feel terrible that he never got his second chance.

My dear Jesse, I am sorry that I was not able to help you out in time. I will miss cuddling you. Run free at the bridge with your brothers, and I will take care of Ronnie for you.

And a million thanks to SQ, :hugs: :flowers3: who went to my rat-sitters late last evening to try to revive him and who then took him to the on-call vet to have him pts when he was clearly suffering. If I could not be with Jesse, I am so grateful that SQ could give him her love and comfort.

I am so very sorry. :sad3:
Jessie is a very special boy.
:hugs:

Jessie's litter has major resp. and heart problems
Debbie, Dandelion, & Snowball are 3 of his sisters that have passed.

He was a very handsome manrat and obviously much loved. I'm so very sorry for your loss. May your heart heal with time.

(((hugs)))

dl
:heart:

He was a very lucky boy to have had you and Holly in his life. He made it 2 years old which is ancient for this unfortunate family...he looked like such a loved and content boy.

Thanks to both of you for all you do for the rats in your area and beyond. ((hugs))

I'm so sad to hear that he passed away so suddenly, and after just hearing a few weeks ago that my heart rat, Rose (Wiley) had passed away, too. I can't thank you enough for all yours and SQ's help with these boys, and I'm glad he had so many wonderful months with you and his brother and your other babies. I'm glad he's not suffering anymore, it's just a tragedy to hear about his family's history. Thank you for posting such a wonderful memorial for him, Godmother.

I'm so sorry for your loss and thanking Holly because she was with him at the end to comfort him.

Back