Jennifer Wendy & Matthew are ill - Jennifer only survivor

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
They had xrays today ...

Jennifer has 1/4 of her lung capasity (ie one lobe) gone. :sad3:

Wendy is a very very tiny piece of lung tissue left in each lung.

Matthew is on benezapril now as he may have a heart issue ... as do several other members of his family

Gosh, it seems as though everyone has multiple sick babies right now. After seeing the pics of the pulmonary abscesses, I don't know how the poor things breathe. I hope your kids are doing OK on meds - you'll know when it gets too much for them. You're a good rat mom...

When we got down to 1 working lung with Waldo, his prognosis was very poor and when he regressed and I had him put to sleep that one lung was okay, but still wasn't enough to keep him oxygenated properly. If Wendy and Jennifer are really struggling you might want to say your goodbyes soon :( Good luck to Matthew, I really hope he responds.

Thanks
Jennifer has noisy breathing, some effort, and comes to me to make it better ... but she is still active and very into food. The inactive lung lobe is well defined and may be a tumor ... if Jennifer were a cat, I was told that we would be doing surgery to remove it.

Wendy is quiet, doesn't move around a lot but comes down to the bottom section of the CN looking for treats and doesn't act really ill .... if she was a person, she wouldn't be able to move, and would be in bed on oxygen. Lasix has been increased in case some of the lung space is fluid ...

Matthew, who was my main concern a few weeks ago now seems so healthy in comparison to his siblings.

Tommy, Jennifer, Wendy, & Matthew are siblings - 4 of Mariam & Benjamin's surviving 8 kids.
Two of their other sibling (Allie & Ashley) are on antibiotics.They were 2 years old Feb. 27.

Wendy's breathing is now noisy :(
Was hoping it would be partially fluid and that the laix would help.
Will see what the vet says and xrays show this afternoon.

Wendy's lungs look better on the xray according to the vet
(He didn't have time to show me as I took 44 rats to the vet this afternoon so it was busy)

So I am hopng they continue to improve

Wendy isn't doing well. I was going to have her pts on Friday, but when we were at the vets an emergency surgery came in so .... Wendy wasn't an emergency so I brought her home.
Today I delayed but phoned the vet at 6 as Wendy's breathing isn't good ... she isn't gasping but ...
The vet had several emergencies come in so said I could bring Wendy in as an emergency.
I am waiting to see if the Lasix she had makes a difference - Wendy has little usable lung space, she isn't gasping, but I don't like her color - Wendy looks a bit blue

I gave the ratties some field greens ... her color may be bad and her breathing horrible,
but Wendy loves her field greens

Here are some pictures of Wendy and Bethlehem enjoying some field greens

I'm going back out to see how Wendy is doing ..... and cuddle her some more ....
It looks like we will be going to the vet this evening or tomorrow

Poor Wendy. But you know, a rat in severe respiratory distress will not eat no matter how much they life a food so that's a good sign that Wendy ate.

jorats said:
Poor Wendy. But you know, a rat in severe respiratory distress will not eat no matter how much they life a food so that's a good sign that Wendy ate.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm glad she's not panicked breathing.

jorats said:

Thanks!
Yes ... the fact that she will eat a bit, and isn't gasping are only reason I haven't been panicing ....
because Wendy has been living with this condition for maonths as it has slowly gotten worse, the vet said she has more red blood cells then normal
Wendy isn't getting much oxygen ... I think the Lasix is keeping my poor baby girl breathing ...

Edit : Time for more meds ... and to see if she would like some sweet potato ....
If she perks up ... and continues to be stable we will wait until tomorrow ... I guess ... so unfair :sad3:

Back