Jealousy?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatsForever

Hello Ratty Fans,

I was wondering, do rats display jealousy? Currently I’m fostering a sweet boy, Lunar, and since he is alone in a cage I often spend time with him so he won’t feel lonely. Well, my own rats have been acting oddly since I’ve been spending time with Lunar. My rats, with the exception of Remi, are not cuddly and would prefer to explore than sit on mom’s lap for any sort of attention, unless treats are involved. My rats are adventure seekers not I-want-mom’s-attention rats. Since Lunar, however, things have mysteriously changed. Now, they do seek my attention! For examples, when I open the cage door for playtime, they often head straight for the playpen or the floor but now they climb all over me and will let me give them scritches and kisses. This morning Emma climbed up on my shoulder and just sat there bruxing. Sunday Poe and Raven curled-up in my arms and let me rub them for 15 minutes! Lunar follows me around the apartment and responds to my voice but my crew only responds to my voice if I say the word “treat”. Now, if I start speaking they all respond. It’s like my independent rats have been replaced by these alien cuddle rat species. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining but I just find it odd.

YES!!! My girls did the same thing when I was fostering some little girl ratties....They played nicley with the fosters but if and when I petted the others mine would crawl all over me....cuddling in and looking very upset. It was so funny.

I wouldn't say it's jealousy, although it's kind of flattering to think that it might be.
Rats are curious because they smell a new kid on the block, an intruder even. They can smell him more on you since you spend more time with him. They are curious and really want to meet him.
Bringing a new rat in the home and not having the current residents meet him will always cause some behaviour changes, most time it's undesirable but in your case I'd say curiosity.

I don't know, I take Rose out more often than Petunia, mostly because Rose sits by the door begging to come out and play, and if I take Rose out too much Petunia actually starts looking for attention too (Yes! shes becoming more social) I interpreted it as jealousy! :wink2:

jorats said:
I wouldn't say it's jealousy, although it's kind of flattering to think that it might be....Bringing a new rat in the home and not having the current residents meet him will always cause some behaviour changes, most time it's undesirable but in your case I'd say curiosity.

Thank you for bursting my bubble Jorats. :giggle:

Back