Jaydon has a lump...UPDATE

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dahlas

One of my baby boys has a lump in his throat....It feels like a pee....like a small hard, round lump under the skin but not connected to to anything.....I don't see any wound and you can"t see it just feel it under the skin.....It doesn't feel like a mass...that is connected to the muscle but like a bee bee under his skin....not sure if I'm explaining it right.....
The other two boys don't have it....
I will keep an eye on it and see what it does over the next few days......but thought someone on here might have an idea.....

Gah, so sorry, lumps are no fun!

Especially in the throat, which is where Emma's returning abscess is.

*crosses fingers* that it's nothing major!

Hope it turns out to be something harmless. What a scare for you. I don't know much about the different kinds of lumps, except that lipomas are harmless. Some of SQ's former ratties had lumps in the side that never developed into anything.

I'm trying not to panic....if it was one of my dogs and I felt this I don't think I would be to concerned..it doesn't have that "oh my god" kind of lump feelings......it kind of feels like the lump a dog sometimes gets when they have been vaccinated. So I'm thinking maybe he got a small bite....but it don't exactly feel like a wound lump.....more like a small hard bee bee under the skin....I can feel behind it and all around it...it feels like.....it is under the first layer of skin...but not connected to the neck.......doesn't seem to hurt......I'm not freaked...yet. But this is one of my babies......8 weeks old......it has got to be a wound.......doesn't it? Any change or if it doesn't disappear in a few days he will get his little rattie behind in to see the vet......

I've noticed some of my rats in the past have had such a weird lump. But it never grew, it's like just excess tissue?

eta: I must be tired. I wrote "great" instead of grew. :roll:

I will have the vet take a look at it when I take them in to be neutered...unless I see any change and then I will take him in sooner...
I don't "feel" that it is anything.....I hope all it is is just excess tissue.......

LOL I'm so tired I just thought I couldn't understand what you where saying.....I hope it doesn't grow....It is right where his Adam's apple would be..if he had one.....only not connected...It feels harmless to me....but I'm certainly no expert on rat lumps....I have seen a lot in dogs and like I said from the feel of this one I wouldn't panic if he was a dog.....and not only 8 weeks old. But he is one of my babies and I'm tired and worried about Sydney and sitting here close to tears....and very glad I have all my rat Shack friends to keep me from jumping into panic mode.....

Thought I would post a picture of Jay's lump...It is still hard round and not feeling connected...no change in size........
Pictures make it look a bit bigger then it is....but it is noticeable. I called the vet today and he said not to worry unless there was a change and he would look at it when Jaydon got neutered.....
animals187-1.jpg

animals188-1.jpg

I'm trying not to panic...but I'm scared to death....

Thanks Jo....abcess from a bite? As long as it is no horrible tumor that is life threatening...see my imagination is getting away from me.....I keep checking it over and over....
I will try the Baytril....shoulds I wait tell after the neuter or do it now???

Well I have been keeping an eye on Jaydon's lump...It has gotten a bit bigger but not huge...Tonight I noticed a small hole in it....I pressed on it and a whole bunch of white thinck stuff came out....I cleaned it all out and it is totally gone.....besides the small hole.....
Do you think he needs antibitoics or something for on it?
t doesn't sem to hurt....he didn't mind me pressing on it...
I have to tell you I was very relieved to see stuff come out of it....I was very worried.

What a relief! Abscesses are not pleasant, but they are better than tumours. Kisses to Jaydon! :tumkiss:

I have very little experience with abscesses, so I'll leave the advice to others. There are some real abscess experts here!

I in no way consider myself an expert but I can tell you what I've had with Emma...

Emma's abscess was in a similar spot, but more to one side. It recurred a number of times, and even though we cleaned it with saline religiously it kept coming back. This was about 4 times.

Then, just as I said, "If it doesn't stay away this time, we're putting her on antibiotics" it kind of.... stopped coming back. We had a good long bump-free stint, and then suddenly one day it was back full force. After it popped she was on antibiotics for another respiratory problem, and since then it has seemed to be kept at bay.

Now she is having a lot of other issues so it is hard to say for certain if the antibiotics really have kept it away, but I'm thinking it's a better to put them on antibiotics than just hope it goes away.

That's fantastic!! Keep that hole open and flush it with saline two to three times a day, each time, try and squeeze more pus out. Don't put any ointment on it. It needs to heal from the inside out.
It's a huge relief!!

Back