Jackie Chan May 2012-Nov 2014

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got Jackie Chan from someone who I later found out bred rats for a local pet store. I was looking at babies and then I saw on craigslist that they were giving him away free to a good home. I was originally going to take him and a baby but another ad was placed for Bruce Lee,( masked boy), Jackie Chan's half brother. advertising him free to a good home because he did not get along with her other boys and I could not let him go as a single rat so I made arrangements and brought them home.
Jackie Chan was the shy one at first who did not want anything to do with me while his brother was more friendly and sweet. Eventually they would become the complete opposite. Jackie Chan was outgoing more accepting of being picked up and pet. He was the adventurer and mischief maker who was always looking to get in to trouble while his his brother was more laid back, content to stay on the bed with me and crawl up in to my hoody and was the more dominant of the two but shy.

He was doing well and getting around fine but three weeks later he couldn't use his back legs anymore and I took him to the vet for antibiotics for a minor respiratory infection and they took an x-ray. They said he had severe arthritis so they gave me prednisone and between that and Baytril he really perked up. A couple weeks later I had the boys out and when I went to put them back in I saw blood everywhere and Bruce Lee was chewing on his feet.I was planning on ordering the largest guinea pig cage I could find and put Bruce Lee with him so I didn't have a hospital cage on hand. I cleaned him up and watched them for quite a while and I woke up that night to check on him and he was fine but the next day his toes were missing and he had blood on his leg. He got weaker and weaker over the weekend to the point where I was syringe feeding him and he was not moving around much so I made an appointment on Monday to put him to sleep.. I still feel so guilty. Run free little buddy. The day before I put him down I went in to Petsmart to get a hospital cage and they asked me if I wanted a female baby returned who they speculate may have been mistreated because she bites when you attempt to pick her up. She's helped ease the heartbreak.

JackieandBruce_zpsb824d5b3.jpg

Last edited:
I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet boy. It is a miracle that you learned about them being given away, and could give them a happy, loving home.

And it is really beautiful that his passing lead to you taking in a sweet girlie. Hope to hear more about her. *hugs*

Such handsome boys! I'm sorry you had to say good bye to Jackie Chan. I'm sure he enjoyed the time he had with you, getting to live in a real home. I'm glad his legacy was to give another needy rat a home. I'll be following her thread.

Back