Ivermection and possible pregnant rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle

Long story short, we had a pew female surrendered to our store couple weeks ago, she had lice nits on her so the vet put her on topical ivermection. I went to give her, her dose this morning and she karate kicked me with her back foot and screamed when I tried to pick her up. She looks much rounder and I think she is in the mommy way. So my question is will the topical effect the unborn babies. I asked the vet, but got the standard response of no drug company will admit yes or no it may kill the babies.
Any advice. I can't bring her home until the lice are gone.

Yes, there are documented cases of birth defects (I think I remember cleft lips were one of those defects) with Ivermectin. Revo is safe to use during pregnancy.

I would have to check tomorrow,but I think she has had her 3rd treatment already. I actually bought out the store vets supply of revolution a year ago. He no longer carries it, we are having a vendor related issue with lice again and the vet asked me today if a spray version of ivermection would work better. I flat told him no he actually listens to me some times.

At least he listened to you on that one, there's a recent thread where a rat died after the vet recommended she spray the rats and their cage with Ivermectin...

Does the vet have any other treatment options? I know some other products are supposed to be safe for rats and effective on lice.

Back