I've ordered my cage & made more hammocks =)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bren

First off I want to thank everyone that participated in my cage poll, I really appreciated your opinions and being that I don't have too much time left before my two girls get to come home and the fact that something came up, so I won't have the money again for a cage between now and the time they do get here...

I was pretty much forced into having to get the "Super pet my first home multi-floor home" cage
myfirsthome.jpg

despite the fact that I was wanting to get either the Fiesty Ferret cage or The Rat Skyscraper (R-695) martin cage :(

I figure that if I have to, I will keep the casters off of this cage I did order and put it on something strong and sturdy, and maybe that will make the cage more sturdy.

So, does anyone think my girls will be ok in this cage I've ordered? I will also be adding hardware mesh around it, so I don't have to worry about escapees :)

Also, here a some more hammocks I made for my girls (2 of them are no-sew hammocks)...they so spoiled and they aren't even here yet...lol

Picture004.jpg

Good that you will do something about the wire spacing.
Don't leave other animals in the room with this cage.
This is the cage the girls I adopted out were in when the dog knocked the cage over and ate them.

I would also be sure to try to order a few more shelves. Even with lots of hammies and things to play and hide in, it's never a bad idea to have plenty of floor space for playing, not to mention to catch a falling rattie. I don't know if rats would be affected but I would be sure to keep an eye on the slide. I've heard that it has a tendency to be very, very wobbly when used by even small ferrets.

Thanks for the extras tips about this cage

SQ - I will definitely be keeping the cage at a safe height, it's actually going to be put up on a solid wood bookcase that is 3' high x 3 1/2' wide x 2 1/2' deep, so it should be very safe and sturdy...and besides I never had any problems with my dogs jumping at my rats cage in the past, they were always gentle when it came to being any where near my rattie or his cage. I really do appreciate your concern, it's greatly appreciated. I too am always concerned about the safety of all my pets :)

Willow - More floor space has already been thought of, I'm one step ahead of you :D and yes I have heard as well about the down fall about the slide, I'm going to replace it with something more sturdy...safety is a + when it comes to any of my furrykids...no matter what species they are :D thanks for the info and the concern for my babies, it's greatly appreciated

You bought that cage for 2 ratties? damn they are so gonna get lost in that cage LOL. :lol:
looks like a nice cage. 8)

LOL @ meep, yeah like I said...they're so spoiled already and they aren't even here yet...lol

I'm even going to be putting in a full floor on each level, minus a cut out section for ladders (which will be replacing the slides it comes with) that way they will be safer :D

I really like the look of that cage. Three little rescues came with that cage and the small girls didn't squeeze out although, I suspect if they really wanted to, they could.
The 24 x 24 is really nice space, lots of room to run and popcorn. I have seen someone add a full level floor in that cage which makes it even more awesome.
Great hammocks too!! Those are going to be some lucky girls.

Have had one very like it and my girls were out in a second, so keep an eye on them :wink: but nice for two, they are get a lot of space!

jorats: yes, you never know if they are going to decide to be sneeky and try for an escape, so I think the hardware cloth is a must, to be safe. And I also plan on adding a full floor as well and maybe even for all the levels. I think they'll love thos nice warm hammocks too :D

Bati: yes thats why I plan on adding hardware cloth around the entire cage, so there will be no escaping :D

Back